Please sign in to post.

Ryan Air Carry-On Luggage

I am planning on flying from Dublin to Edinburgh using Ryan Air because of their price. Many posts state that they are strict with the carry on size.

I was looking at rick steves classic carry on bag or the appenzell but one might be too big.

Has anyone flown ryan air using carry on only? If so what bag did you use?

Thanks

Posted by
91 posts

You are correct, check in a bag on ryan air is now 15eur. The quote prices are for one way ticket from dublin to edinburgh.

Posted by
80 posts

Daughter flew from Dublin to Aberdeen and used a soft sided carry on duffel bag. It was within the measurements of what Ryanair stipulates on their website. They are very strict on size and weights.

Posted by
91 posts

Is it worth the hassel of buying a new bag or should I fly with Aer Lingus who allows larger bags?

Quote:
Ryan Air - 20eur
Aer Lingus - 40eur

Posted by
9363 posts

I have always just checked my bag. If you do plan to check, make sure you indicate that during the booking process. It costs more if you wait till you get to the airport. As for your example, double the price isn't worth it to me so you can take a larger bag. You're essentially paying 20 euro for the priviledge when it would cost much less to check.

Posted by
1829 posts

"Quote: Ryan Air - 20eur Aer Lingus -40eur"

Is that the total Ryanair price? Sometimes, when you have added all the Ryanair "extras" eg charges for checking in, there can be little difference in price.

Posted by
964 posts

Hi Mike, I think Ryanair have raised the charge to check bags- it used to be £5, now it's £15 or 15 euros. But check the website first in case I read it wrong.

Posted by
91 posts

I plan to travel for 2 weeks so I need all the room I can get. I plan on checking on bag and using a backpack for the rest. Just worried because each time I have ever checked a bag it got lost.

Posted by
14995 posts

Mike, may I suggest you think about doing laundry a few times in your room and you won't have to take as much.

You can see how simple it is here:

Doing Laundry

Posted by
91 posts

I agree 100%, I always do my laundry in the sink to lighten the load. When I pack I follow Rick's packing list.

Posted by
408 posts

It's the weight limit (10kg) that is our challenge. We've never approached the dimensions limit. We check our 'Rick Steves' sized bag and struggle to keep the small backpack under 10kg for our RA carryon item.

Posted by
408 posts

So was your quote ...
"Quote: Ryan Air - 20eur Aer Lingus - 40eur"
... the final/total price, or the starting price?

I just checked the RA site and found a Dublin-Edinburgh flight that's advertised at 20 eur (19.99 eur, actually). To that it will add:
* 5 eur (online checkin, which is mandatory)
* 33.77 eur (taxes/fees)
For a total of 58.76 eur.

And we haven't even gotten to the checked bag fee.

Posted by
91 posts

22 lbs or 10 kg is not a problem. When we use rick's packing list we always be under the limit. The only time we were not was because the bag we were using was 7 lbs empty.

Posted by
91 posts

When I checked on ryan air it was 14.99 eur + 5: 19.99 eur. I did not see any taxes. Did I miss something?

Posted by
91 posts

I just checked Aer Lingus and for the same day with taxes and fees it was 54.30 eur.

Posted by
408 posts

Mike, RyanAir does have some flights that it tags as "No taxes." The one I quoted was not one of those. So, yes, if you have an option to book a "No taxes" flight that will save you some charges.

BTW, in the example I gave I had not added on the additional 5eur for the 'payment method' you'll be using to purchase the ticket. You will only see that charge on the final 'booking' (purchase) screen. Unless you have a RA credit/debit card (which apparently a US person cannot get) or a Mastercard pre-paid debit card (which I haven't been able to find yet) then this is another 'mandatory' add-on, along with the 'online checkin' charge.

Posted by
91 posts

I just wanted to make sure that I was not missing any extra fees. Seems like ryan air is the better deal.

Posted by
91 posts

10 kg is the limit for all their flights correct?

Posted by
91 posts

So basiclly I need to find a new bag that meets ryan air restrictions. Too bad rick steves does not have one.

Posted by
934 posts

I cant imagine having a problem staying under 10K.We flew Lufthansa last June and they allow 7K(17.6)My heavy packing daughters were at 10 and 13 Pounds.They were concerned they couldnt do it but half way thru the trip they told me they were happy I insisted on carry on only.By the way my bag was 15 and my wifes 11.