Please sign in to post.

Public transport in Dublin

HI! I'm travelling next week &wanted to get a clearer explanation on best transport options while in Dublin. I will arrive Wednesday & leave Saturday. I thought the hop on/hop off bus might be a fun option, since it is good for the 24 hours & may be helpful in giving me a quick "lay of the land." However, now I think the 3 day Rambler pass might be an option...since it includes bus ride from airport (which is like 7 euro itself). I'm assuming I could get the regular bus (via rambler pass) out to places like Kilmainham Gaol as well.... so... any advice, recommendations, etc? I am not opposed to doing alot of walking, by the way, but mainly I was thinking I'd need thebus for the Gaol and from airport, also maybe another time or 2 if I walk far and it's getting late in the day for me to walk back to my hotel (near Christ church).... any comments are helpful! thanks

Posted by
8 posts

We just returned from Dublin and found the DART and LUAS to be very easy to use. You will take the LUAS to Kilmainham Gaol. It's just about a four block walk from the stop. I can't find my Dublin map right now but the stop started with an S. We had lunch at a great little pub across the street from the Gaol called the Patriot's Inn. Best Guinness in Dublin according to my husband!

Posted by
977 posts

Kilmainham Gaol is in the hop on hop bus route.

Posted by
32206 posts

Ashley,

The Hop On / Hop Off Bus tour is a great way to get an "overview" of the city. It does stop at the Kilmainham Gaol and also the Guinness Storehouse.

I don't have any information on Bus transport from the airport, as I used a Taxi (probably the easiest method when hauling luggage).

Which Hotel are you staying at "near Christ Church"?

Posted by
91 posts

I am staying at Rick's recommended Harding Hotel...got a pretty good deal, @ about 60 Euro a night....by far the cheapest accomodations i saw near the city center! i guess my Q was what would be the most useful & budget friendly means of transport while in Dublin.... any more info on the LUAS? seems a little confusing...is it cheaper than a 3 day bus pass (~14 Euro)? I have planned on public transport b/c it will be just me and my backpack, & taxis are expensive for 1 person. Thanks for the info thus far everyone!

Posted by
484 posts

Ashley, Since you will be staying at the Harding be sure and try Leo Burdocks fish and chips which is just across Dame Street on your left as you leave the Harding. It is next door to the Lord Edward Pub which is one of the best seafood restaurants in Dublin.

Posted by
91 posts

Thanks, I will! I love getting "personal" recommendations from folks!

Posted by
45 posts

I was in Dublin for about 6 days at the beginning of my trip to Ireland and I only took the bus once, and that was only because I was lost and a random lady put me on the bus to get me back to my hostel. I realized after I definitely could have walked. Dublin is very walkable and everything is pretty close together. I really liked the hop on hop off tour, and what I did was ride the tour all the way to the gaol and do that first, then got back on and got off at some of the other stops that are closer together. The tour itself is quite interesting without geting off at all!

Posted by
25 posts

The 3-day Freedom Pass gives you the Hop On-Hop Off, Airlink and City buses for 25 euro, probably the best value for you. You will walk a lot, but you may want the bus available.
(http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Tourist-Tickets/)

The Hop On-Hop Off alone is $23 (aprox 17 euro) (bought on-line). Sightseeing tours (Powerscourt, Malahide, Ghost Tour) are also cheaper on-line.

The Luas (luas.ie) covers most of the city centre on 2 fixed routes, its fast, easy and usually less than 2 euro per ride.

There are also FREE Eco-Cabs (ecocabs.ie) in the city and lots of bike rental shops, including in Phoenix Park.

If you are near the Park, Nancy Hand's (nancyhands.ie) has to-die-for Guinness and Beef (with puff pastry and yummy mashed 'taters) Its a beautiful 2-story Victorian pub between Heuston Station and Phoenix Park, on Parkgate.

This page has all the Dublin transport info. (http://www.dublin.ie/transport/home.htm)

Check out visitdublin.com for maps, free and cheap attractions, deals, etc.

Enjoy your journey!

Posted by
32206 posts

Ashley,

The Harding Hotel is wonderful, and in a great location for walking to the Temple Bar district (and other sights). One minor point to mention though is that Darkey Kelly's Bar gets a bit noisy in the evenings, but I didn't find that to be a problem. The Bar was named after a "colourful" individual from Dublin who once "worked" in Copper Alley (you can read "the rest of the story" when you get there).

The Hotel is right across from Christ Church Cathedral, so be sure to take some time to have a look at that. The staff at the Hotel were wonderful! If you have a copy of the Ireland Guidebook, have a close look at the description for the Guinness Storehouse, so that you can decide whether it's something that might interest you. The tour begins at ground level and "winds it way" upwards to a conclusion at the Gravity Bar, where you'll receive your "free" Pint. The Bar has a great view of Dublin. Some people feel the tour is interesting, others are less enthusiastic. The Kilmainham Gaol is definitely worth a stop though!

Sla´inte!