Please sign in to post.

Manchester

Hello! This is my first time posting. I'm planning on staying in Manchester in mid May for three nights. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd really appreciate it. Safe area, all that jazz.
Thanks so much!

Posted by
1078 posts

Lucky you! You have "The Curry mile" for Indian food, the Top of the Deansgate Hilton for more, and the mall downtown. When you check-in to the hotel they can direct you to what's happening, or speak to your colleagues. One rule is "no trainers and no denim" in the clubs. I stay center city and it is perfectly safe. South side near the brewery is a little dicey.

Posted by
3 posts

Oooh thanks Jerry! Especially for the "no trainers and no denim." In LA it's hipster central so it's skinny jeans and converse. So thank you! Any advice on hotels, too? And I will remember to stay away from the south side near the brewery. Is there a specific brewery or is it called that? (Still doing my research!) ;)

Thanks!

Posted by
1078 posts

Don't know what your budget is, but I would check the Hilton Deansgate, The Marriott's and or the Accor hotels in the center of town. Have stayed at the first two for 99 Pounds and the Accors at anywhere from 65 to 120. You will see the brewery when you come in from the airport. Have a ball!

Posted by
20 posts

If you have to go to Manchester, stay near the city centre and you don't want to be near the university over the weekend as the bars and clubs get really busy and lots of drunks

Posted by
495 posts

I'd disagree with Liane about the University area, although it's just as busy I'd say there is much less chance of trouble there than the city centre. That being said the centre's fine too - as safe as any other city centre. There are some ropey areas with a 15 min walk of the centre (like any big city) but you'll not wander into these by mistake.

I also would not entirely agree with the no trainers and jeans thing - some places do have this rule but in my opinion it's a sign that you've found a place to miss. Even places like Deansgate Locks that are a bit up themselves a lot of the places are fine with trainers - although a pair of shoes will keep your options open (trainers being more of an issue than jeans).

I second the recommendation of the Rushholme "Curry Mile" - basically a strip of Wilmslow Rd. about 2-3 miles from the centre where the Indian and Pakistani community was traditionally centred. TBH the fame of the place really killed the food quality with most of the food being merely OK and a bit samey - I like the Spicy Hut (although I've not been for a while and restaurants rise and fall quite swiftly out there). It is worth a trip out there after dark for the neon and the bustle. The best curries are in the centre at the moment, either Akbar's on Liverpool St. or, oddly, East z East attached to the Ibis near UMIST.

I'm not really an expert on hotels, who is where they live? A good bet might be the Travelodge, Travel Inn and Ibis chains all which have good, central locations and can often be had a good price. A good bet might be the Charles St. IBIS as it's a bit less central than the others but still an easy walk "down town" as you guys say so you may have more luck with the cheap rates- it also has the afore mentioned East z East downstairs. I tend to assume that people are hunting for a bargain on here but at the other end of the scale the Lowry or the Hilton Deansgate are probably the "best" whatever than means.

Posted by
495 posts

The Hilton's worth a visit anyway for their "Sky Bar" on the 23rd floor - the cocktails are nice but expensive but the view from the tallest building in a mainly low rise city makes it worth the price for one or two.

Deansgate/Deasgate Locks have a concentration of bars and places to eat, very popular but not to my taste - a lot of places manage to combine being both expensive and "cheap". There are expeditions, the Knott Bar at the top of Deansgate near the MOSI is worth a visit - lot's of interesting bears both local and imported and a good atmosphere.

There's been a lot of investment in the Spinning Fields area re. bars and restaurants recently. It's a bit soulless, mostly chains but it does seem popular with women - maybe that safe, glossy chain feel?

The "cool kids" hang out in the Northern Quarter, which is unsurprisingly just north of Piccadilly off Oldham St. Lot's of trendy bars, clubs, restaurants etc.

Posted by
495 posts

Other odd places of interest: either of the Chop Houses, Sam's or Mr Thomas' for food and a pint in traditional setting. The Temple Of Convenience just off Oxford St. is always popular with tourists, an underground bar in what used to be a public convenience (not a terrible bar either.) The Peveril of the Peak is always mentioned in guides and although the tiled exterior is worth a look I don't car for the pub itself. It strikes me as one of those places people often like because they think they should, confusing "character" with just being a bit rubbish. Round the corner is the much nicer, but not as characterful, Rain Bar. Excellent beers, decent pub food all in a converted warehouse by the canal.

If you're feeling cultural I'd check what's on at the Lowry, Bridgewater Hall or the Opera House. The Urbis sometimes has some interesting exhibits and a good, "hidden gem" restaurant. It's also handy for the cathedral and Sinclair's Oyster Bar, an historic pub that was moved, brick by brick, across town when they repaired the damage caused by the IRA.

Posted by
3 posts

Jerry, Liane, Peter,

Thank you so much. All this is helpful. Peter, thank you for all the detail, I've printed it out and I'm going to definitely bring it with me when I visit.

My excitement is growing but I have to wait till May! ;)

Thanks again!

Posted by
495 posts

Glad to be of help, I must admit I don't get to answer Manchester questions that often. As much as I like it here it's not exactly a prime tourist destination.

It's worth noting, depending on why you're in Manchester and how much free time you have, but you'll be ideally placed for day trips in Northern England and North Wales. An hour and a half could have you in York, Conwy, the Peak District or the Lakes.