Please sign in to post.

Trip suggestions

My husband and I are planning a return trip to the UK. We went two years ago and did a lot of London, went to Bath, Dover, Canterbury, and Windsor. We are going in July and plan on being in the UK for about a week. Does anybody have any suggestions of places to visit?

Posted by
2776 posts

With only being in the UK a week I would suggest London for a couple of days. Then going out to the Cotswolds, take the train from Paddington Station to Moreton in Marsh, rent a car in Bourton-in-the-Water so you can drive to all the beautiful villages in the Cotswolds. You can take a taxi from Moreton-in-Marsh to Bouton-in-the-Water.

Posted by
12172 posts

This works so much better if you give us an idea what you like. Do you prefer to be in the country or the city? Do you prefer seeing a castle ruin or a musical? I know my favorite places but they may not be what you have in mind at all.

Posted by
3428 posts

I agree with staying in one place with only a week. If you liked London, you might want to read an article I wrote two years ago for AAA Carolina's "Go" magazine. It is about basing yourself in London and doing day trips by train. We've been to Lonond ALOT and still have things we want to see/do. If you want something different, I'd suggest Inverness. Again, lots of good day trips from there. Or maybe Wales- either Cardiff or the Snowdonina area.

If you want to read the article, the link is at the end of this post. If it asks for a zip code, use 28208. If it oges to current issues, click on archives and select Jan/Feb 2008

http://www.aaacarolinas.com/Magazine/2008/Jan-Feb/britain.htm?zip=28201&stateprov=nc&city=charlotte

Posted by
1525 posts

Well, this won't satisfy you if you really want to reconnect with London (not a bad idea, as a 2nd trip to the same city really cements it in the memory) but with only a week to spend, I would try to fly to Glasgow or Edinburgh and do Scotland by car. It's plenty to keep you busy for a week and would be a nice (slight) contrast to your previous trip.

Remember that UK means United Kingdom, including Scotland, Wales, and N.Ireland. So far, you have just seen some of England's greatest hits.

You could always train from London to Edinburgh and back, but with only a week, I wouldn't spent that much time in transit. With 10 days, it would be more doable.

Posted by
2714 posts

If you did a lot of London on the last trip, I would skip it. Why not try Scotland? Fly into Edinburgh and spend a coupld of days there. Then head up to Inverness and over to Skye.

Posted by
1035 posts

You could toss in a few days in Paris via the Eurostar.

Just sayin...