Please sign in to post.

4 days in Ireland

A group of eight Americans are traveling together in June 2014. We are planning to spend 4 days in Ireland, what are the must see sights that can be done in 4 days. We want pub time with locals to see the cliffs of Moher and the Guniness storehouse. Suggestions of sights and places to stay are encouraged.

Posted by
9363 posts

You really haven't given us anything to go on. Where are you coming from/going to after these four days? Do the four days include your arrival or departure days? What is your budget? How do you plan to get eight people and their luggage from place to place? The Cliffs of Moher are on the west coast (along with most of the best scenery). The Guinness Storehouse is in Dublin (but in my opinion isn't worth the time or the money). Do you enjoy historical sights, nature, shopping? The more you can fill in the blanks, the better we can answer the question.

Posted by
9363 posts

Have you looked at any guidebooks to get an idea of what your might like to see (aside from what you mentioned)? Are you planning on driving yourselves? With just four days you need to be selective with what you see or limit yourselves to a small area. The west coast is more scenic, so you might want to start there and end up in Dublin.

Posted by
12 posts

Four full days, we have not decided where to fly to, it depends on our itinerary. We Are headed to London after our time in Ireland.
The group are all runners, so we like being active but are very interested in history,natural beauty and shopping. So, the short answer to your question is yes. I hope this helps.

Posted by
237 posts

With that short a time for a whole country in general my recommendation would be to stay in Dublin, see the city and take some day trips to the rural areas like the Wicklow mountains and/or Bru na Boinne. The problem is that the Cliffs of Moher are all the way across the country and would be a really long day trip. As much as I enjoyed the cliffs I'm not sure they're worth traveling all the way across the nation for just to see. If you were to make it part of a 2 day swing through the countryside it might be good but otherwise I think it's too much travel time for the time you have. It's the opinion of many of the people here that the real Ireland lives in the rural areas - especially the south western coast - but the rural areas are hard to see in a short period of time. I would concentrate on Dublin - and maybe Belfast if you want to see Northern Ireland as well - and plan on coming back. My $.02,
=Tod

Posted by
9363 posts

If you land in Shannon and leave from Dublin you can maximize your sightseeing time because you won't have to backtrack. If you are flying from the US and arriving on "Day 0", you will have an afternoon in which you can easily see the Cliffs of Moher (and they will be at their best, since the sun will be on them in the afternoon). Then you would still have four full days. Saving Day 4 for Dublin, you could drive down from the Cliffs area toward the southwest, to see Killarney Natl Park on Day 1. Day 2 could be spent seeing Blarney, Cahir castle and/or Rock of Cashel. Day 3 could be spent at Glendalough or Newgrange, and Day 4 in Dublin, leaving on Day 5 for London. In Dublin, I would suggest seeing Kilmainham Gaol, and enjoying the musicians on Grafton St. The Temple Bar area is great for nightlife, though it might be crowded. The hop-on, hop-off bus takes about 90 minutes to make the complete circle, and it will give you a good overview of the city.

Posted by
77 posts

We just got back and we were a family of 6 ranging form 18 to 75. We loved Ireland. Powerscout is beautiful and if you have nice weather should not be missed. The hop on Hop off in Dublin is very interesting if you do the whole ride and then hop on and off. We loved our visit to the "Irish House party" look it up. Cork is a nice place to spend a day also.