Please sign in to post.

Eurostar London to Paris

Is it necessary to make reservations or are 2nd class seats available on a "walk on" basis in the summer?

Posted by
77 posts

By walk on I mean buying ticket at the station rather than in advance, we are flexible and can wait for the next train.

Posted by
9101 posts

You can purchase tickets at the station on the day of your journey, but you will be paying the highest fare.

Posted by
8700 posts

Here's a current fare comparison. (Things might be different next summer.) The best fare for tomorrow, 20 October, is £101 and for most departure times it is £135. Some departure times are sold out.

If you register as a resident of the UK on www.eurostar.com and book well in advance, you can get a non-refundable, non-exchangeable fare as low as £35.

Posted by
11507 posts

Ron,, most definately buy in advance,, the price difference can be significant. It may crimp your travel style to prebook something,, but in this case it can save you hundreds of euros. I paid 56 euros for return tickets this past summer,,I always buy at least 2 or 3 months in advance( as soon as site allows me).

Posted by
19 posts

Tim, how does one register on Eurostar as a resident? I tried looking for it on the website but wasn't able to figure it out.
Thanks!

Posted by
8700 posts

Patty,

The first time you visited www.eurostar.com, you should have been asked to select a country of residence. Assuming you selected the US, you will be taken to the US version of the site each time you log on. To register as a resident of the UK, first clear the Eurostar cookies from your Web browser. (You can do a search for just those cookies and delete them individually or you simply can delete all your cookies.) Then go to the Eurostar site and register as a resident of the UK. The registration page should look like this.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks Tim! I was able to do this and went from 4 tickets at $362 USD to 128 GBP. I appreciate the help!

Posted by
780 posts

I saw an ad on londontoolkit.com for 59 GBP round trip on the Eurostar to Paris and back in November.

Posted by
12 posts

If I register as a Brit, will I have trouble when I pick up my tickets at the station. I feel like I'm doing something illegal!!!

Posted by
15115 posts

Linda, to get around the illegal bits...just learn the words to "God Save the Queen," name all the teams vying for the FA Cup, and know the difference between a stout, bitter, ale and lager....and you'll be fine.

Just kidding.

The reason you register as living in the UK is to the get the UK rate in pounds. If you register as an American, you'll get the rate in dollars at a very unfavorable exchange rate.

It's perfectly legal.

Posted by
12 posts

Frank II, Thanks for the quick reply. I'll start studying right away!!!
And I'm now ready to reserve my Eurostar tickets.
Thanks, again.