Please sign in to post.

Staying in a castle

We'll be in Ireland for two weeks later this month (September)and would like to stay in a castle for one or two nights - we are touring the southeast and southwest parts of Ireland. Any suggestions?

Posted by
103 posts

I was just reading a thread about that on the Ireland forum of Tripadvisor!

Posted by
409 posts

We stayed at Dromoland Castle near Bunratty and Shannon Airport a couple of years ago and loved it. You will read wildly differing reviews on Tripadvisor...some liken it to Disneyland but we enjoyed it a lot. Your biggest criterion right now should be price....you're looking for something on very short notice and prices are likely to be out of sight. Check for internet specials...another possibility would be Adare Manor. Both are centrally located for a lot of attractions.

Posted by
3428 posts

There recently was an article in "Britian" magazine about castle stays. Some are hotels, others more like b&bs. I think it was the May issue, but am not certain. Check their online site, or maybe your public library carries it.

Posted by
101 posts

Lucy,
I just returned Saturday from a week in Ireland which included 2 days at the Ashford Castle up near Cong. It might be a little out of your way depending on your schedule but I got a great rate of 97 euros per person per night (their last minute B&B rate) so we decided to go. It was fantastic! The horseback riding, golf and falconry are some of our most memorable moments from the trip.

Posted by
38 posts

There is also Glin Castle in north limerick. Unfortunately their website (glincastle.com) seems to be down at the moment

Posted by
3428 posts

Hi- saw your city and couldn't help saying hello to a neighbor. I'm from Charlotte and my daughter lives in Cornelius and teaches in Mooresville! Happy travels.
Toni

Posted by
182 posts

Stayed at Dromoland Castle a few years back. Nice place and the grounds were beautiful, but I feel it was overpriced and if I had to do it again, I'd go for Ashford Castle. Have had very good reports about Ashford from some who have been to both.