Please sign in to post.

Hotels in London

Our itinerary suggests the Lancaster Hall Hotel just north of Hyde Park and west of Paddington Station. It's has mixed reviews online. I know it's very basic, which is ok with us. We're going to London to sightsee, not to stay in our room all day. But I read that they have no non-smoking rooms. That concerns me a little. Some non-smoking rooms you can barely smell the smoke, but some reek of it. We suggested upgrading for more money, but our trip planner said we didn't need to, that 98% of the reviews have been good. Also, since we are only visiting for 3 full days, is the location centrally located enough for us? We will be going to the Tower of London, London Eye, British Museum and Library, Westminster Abbey, Thames cruise, and maybe the Beatles Walk on Abbey Road. I would really be interested in hearing from people that know the area well or have actually stayed in that part of the city. Thanks

Posted by
780 posts

Its a 10-15 minute tube ride to the "center" of town from Paddington. You dont need to be exactly central. I have stayed in Paddington. It is north-westish. Once you are there, London is not as large as people seem to think it is. I stay in Kensington with is south-westish and it is only about 4 tube stops from Victoria.

Most Iconic sites are in Zone 1 and 2 on the underground, which does not cover a huge area. You can visit all those places in 2 days, but keep in mind that the Tower of London is always jam-packed and could be an hour wait to get inside then a few more hours of the tour, so make that the first place of the day so you can fit in the other stuff.

The British museum is huge. I have been there once, spent about 3 hours, and still only saw 10% of the stuff. My best suggestion is to get the free maps at the booth in the lobby (where the ceiling looks like mesh) and pick out the exhibits you really want to see (i.e. Mummies, medeivel, Ancient Roman artifacts, etc).

London Eye takes half an hour once youre on it, you may wait half an hour in line. 1 hour or so..

Thames cruise times can vary depending on how long of a cruise you want to be on, like Westminster pier to Tower Bridge, etc.. Figure 2 hours for that.

The Abbey Road "Zebra crossing" is across a busy road, so dont try to walk on it to get the obligatory pic during rush hour - 7-9 am or 4-6 pm. Also dont ride the underground at that time. Horrible evil rushed crowds. Horrible.

If your room reeks, ask them to move you. Most hotels will if they can. Some of the positive reviewers could have been smokers!! I understand your concern because I cant stand cig smoke as well.

Posted by
643 posts

We rode the tube and bus plenty of times during the 4-6pm rush hour in London with no problems. If the train is too full or too stuffy, just get off at the next station and catch the next train hopefully not as packed! Trains come every couple of minutes so it's super easy. My wife and I are used to Japanese cities, which are very crowded, and London was never ever as crowded as Tokyo or Osaka, so we were fine.

Posted by
780 posts

Dave youre right about the rush hour.

I think it depends on which line you use. I used Piccadilly and District alot (the 2 that stop in Earls Ct) and they seemed to be the ones that get busy at rush hour the most.

But they are also the ones that go to alot of the iconic London areas.

Posted by
643 posts

Yeah actually at the end of a long day of walking and sightseeing, my wife and I found hopping on a bus and sitting up on the top level a nice way to get back to South Kensington. So we avoided the tube if we could at the end of the day. But we took the Picadilly Line plenty of times and most every time we could sit down. Of course, we were there in late September, so it wasn't as hot as it would have been in July or August!!

Posted by
248 posts

We have been in London many times and always stay in this neighborhood. It is a great location for riding the tube and walking. We have stayed at Lancaster Hall 3 times and will most definitely stay there again. You are right, it is pretty basic but is very nice for the price. The breakfast buffet has always been good. I don't remember that the smoke was a problem. I would have said we had a non-smoking room but maybe not. Have fun.

Posted by
251 posts

Thanks Rosemary, you have eased my mind some about our hotel and location. When you just read about something without experiencing it firsthand, you don't really know what you're getting in to. Smoke does bother me somewhat, but if it's too much I can always ask for another room. We arrive in London very early in the morning. Do you think Lancaster Hall Hotel will let us go ahead and stow our luggage somewhere until check in? I noticed on their website that check in is 2:00 p.m.

Posted by
3580 posts

I have reservations at the Umi Hotel in roughly that same area. I'm assuming the hike to the Tube will be only a few minutes. The neighborhood is new to me, and that is good. I prefer a "real" neighborhood with shops, etc. to the area around Victoria which seems devoid of real neighborhood life, other than all the hotels and Victoria Station itself.

Posted by
248 posts

Hi Cindy - Yes, they will let you store your luggage when you arrive early. We have done it several times. Have a wonderful trip.