Please sign in to post.

Best time to book airfare

We are planning a trip to London either in October or November. I have been websurfing ticket prices until I'm blue in the face. I've seen huge ranges from $500.00 and up in just a 24 hour period! We are pretty open as far as airlines and departures. Should I book right away if I find a good deal, or can I wait another month or so?

Posted by
780 posts

Decide what you want to pay and stick to it.

When you see that price, and you get the ticket, then you should be satisfied. For instance, I bought my ticket to London on British Airways for November already. I paid $641 for a non stop round trip flight including fees. Im happy with that. It has since creeped up to $809 and back down to $684. I dont see it going any lower than what I paid and if it does, I treat it the same way as I do when I buy something at the store and see it marked half price a week later in the clearance rack. Theres just no way of knowing for sure.

So if its worth it to you, pay the price you want to pay and feel ok with it.

Posted by
124 posts

We have been looking to book a trip to Ireland Since the fall of 08. Back then, the prices were around $800. We could have booked for a Feb. 09 trip for $599, a April trip for $625. and a summer trip, mid June for $695. We found the best prices on all these searches to occur about 3 months out until about 2 months out, and from there on, went up about $50/week. We eventually booked for Aug 5, 5-6 weeks out for $849, but we were on-the-fence about doing the trip during the high season. Since tourism is down this summer in Ireland, and the prospect of further decline of our dollar in the years ahead due to our famous government's massive deficit spending, so we decided to bite the bullet and go now. Incidently, the best price we saw for the tickets we ended up getting was about $690,yes 2-3 months out. We could have saved about $150; so the moral of the story is don't wait too long. Cheers...Dan

Posted by
77 posts

Having the same problem. Have surfed for June 2010 business class. Using Continental from Newark to London. The Expedia price for the same flights is currently $1,400 (for 2) less than on the Continetal web site; how long will that last?

Posted by
445 posts

Airfares at the moment are very volatile due to the economy and fewer people traveling. No one can tell you what is going to happen next! If you see a fare that you consider good I would take it. It could go down more but it could also go up. October is pretty poplular with off-season travelers...November starts getting into the territory of more bargain fares.
It would seem to me that $500. from Oklahoma is pretty low!

Sign up with Virgin Atlantic's web site as they have been offering great fares. But you will have to fly out of NY or Washington.(maybe Chicago although I understand they are dropping that route )

Good Luck!

Posted by
1717 posts

Hi Cindy. I recommend : go to England in October. The weather there is better in October than in November. We are now in July. I suggest : buy the tickets this week, if you find a price that is satisfactory for you. The prices are not likely to become significantly lower between now and October. And if you wait until August to buy airline tickets, the flights that will be available for October are likely to have undesirable departure times or arrival times.

Posted by
445 posts

I disagree about NOT going to England in November.
I have done it twice. Now weather in England is a gamble at any time bit last November when I was there it was lovely...we had sunny days with mild temps. most days. Just bring appropriate clothing.

However, being from Oklahoma, you might find it cool.

I once spent Thanksgiving week in London and it was fine as well... I always think of Nov. 1 being the beginning of coat weather where I live but last year
the nice weather stretched long into November. Fall
is fickle!!!

I still think you will see lower fares for November this year.

Posted by
251 posts

Thanks, everyone, for all the good information. I just purchased our tickets to London literally minutes ago and I think got a good rate. For our family of 4 (adults) it is around $2800.00 on Continental leaving October 14 and returning the 18. I wish we could be there longer but my son is starting college this fall and that is his fall break. We leave OKC and change planes in Washington Dulles. I think October will be a good month for London after doing my research. I am so excited! Now I have to save, save, save for all the extras we want to do there!