Please sign in to post.

SIM cards

I've just gotten my GMS phone unlocked and am now looking for a good deal on SIM cards for Ireland.
I just need to be able to call home to the States a few times and then call within Ireland.

Basically, I'm so tired of researching mundane things for this trip, I just want someone to tell me what to do ;-)

Thanks,
Marcia
Anyone have any ideas?

Posted by
9369 posts

How hard is it to google "SIM cards Ireland"? You are the only one who can know which SIM card meets your needs. Do you plan to travel often and need a permanent number, or is this trip a one-time thing? What kinds of calls will you be making most -- calling the US or calling your next B&B? Consider your use of the phone to help guide you in selecting a SIM card.

Posted by
32331 posts

Marcia,

As you're planning to just "call home to the States a few times and then call within Ireland", have you considered just roaming with your home cell network? It would probably be a less complicated solution than changing SIM's.

If you'd prefer to have an Irish SIM, just pop into the nearest Cell phone shop when you arrive in Ireland and buy a PAYG SIM. You might want to do a bit of research on the various plans available, so that you have some idea which one will best fit your needs. The networks in Ireland are O2, Vodaphone, Meteor and 3.

Happy travels!

Posted by
17 posts

I did do a Google search and came up with numerous companies and, after reading the fine print in about a half a dozen, I decided to ask what companies other travelers had trusted. Much the same as taking on faith that the fish is good at a restaurant you'd read about but wanted personal feedback on.

Thanks again,
Marcia

Posted by
5 posts

Hi, Marcia. I returned from a trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland about 1-1/2 weeks ago. While there I used a SIM card for Vodafone, which I purchased on eBay from someone in Cork. (The Dublin airport is a bit chaotic, so I wouldn't recommend going to the Vodafone store there, although there are Vodafone shops all over the place in the cities.) The other major company is O2, but I found that Vodafone has the better plan if you're planning to stay mostly in the Republic. O2's plan is better if you're going to spend much time in Northern Ireland (O2 is a British company). Good luck and have a great trip!

Posted by
17 posts

Excellent, Julie. That helps. I plan on staying solely in the Republic so I'll go with Vodaphone.
Thanks for your help. Also- hope your trip was fantastic!
Marcia

Posted by
1358 posts

FYI, just back from Dublin, the Vodafone store in the airport is currently closed. If you're staying in Dublin, there's stores in town. Only 10 euros for the card with 10 euros worth of credit on it. But if you're staying out in the country, there's no Vodafone stores out there.