Please sign in to post.

London to Bath train tickets

I tried to to get advance tickets for the train from London paddington station to bath spa for June 21st. It gives me a price for advance but said they weren't available online. I noticed that they have engineering work going on that day for Swindon to Bath--none of the trips go straight to BAth we have to go into Bristol first and then catch another train to Bath. The web site stated that advance tickets aren't available online for trips with engineering work. My question is--can i buy these tickets the day before (when we arrive in London) or will i be stuck paying full price at the time i want to leave? Also can i buy these tickets from any train station in London or do i have to buy only at Paddington?

Posted by
87 posts

Hi Susan,

Hopefully the train experts will chime in. In my limited experience I would do anything to avoid paying the walk up price. If the Bristol to Bath connection is doable I would do it. Good luck.

Posted by
8700 posts

If there are any discount tickets left, you could buy them when you arrive; but they're likely to be sold out. You can buy tickets at any National Rail station.

With the extra travel time required because of the engineering works, you might do just as well taking a National Express coach (highway bus). The standard fare is £19. If you book now online, you may be able to get an £8 funfare.

Posted by
23 posts

Has anyone road the coach bus to Bath? It adds about an hour to the now longer train trip (3 1/2 vs. 2 1/2) but considerably cheaper. I can get a funfare for 5 GBP. It will cut short our stay in london by a couple of hours but i'm not sure i want to pay 83 GBP each (my son and I) to take the train.

Posted by
3580 posts

Unfortunately you have run up against the weekend rail works. The train could take longer than any bus. I would reserve space on the bus (coach) and go to Bath Spa that way. If you buy the coach tix in advance you will save money. Advance reservation may be the only way you can be guaranteed to get the coach you want. I have taken this trip by coach from Heathrow. It took about 2.5 hours. The distance from Heathrow is about 100 miles. From London it would probably take somewhat longer. Luggage goes in storage under the coach.

Posted by
3428 posts

Have you considered other destinations? With the repairs on the Bath route, why not look in another direction? Maybe Stratford-upon-Avon, Canturbury, Dover, or York? Perhaps Brighton or Plymoth?

Posted by
23 posts

I have to go to Bath--this is where our RS tour starts. I need to be there by 1700 on the 21st. We're arriving in London the day before for a little extra time there. I think we'll take the 12:30 bus. It arrives in Bath at 1600. It looks like it stops in Earls Court which is where we're staying.

Posted by
48 posts

I recently bought tickets to Bath - off peak, same day return - and they were not very expensive. I recall I paid about 40 pounds. The tickets said London to Bath Spa, so I assume they would have been good from any London station. I went out of Paddington. Don't wait in line for the ticket counter - I just used the machines with a credit card. The off-peak was 1/2 the price of full fare (we left Paddington at 9:30) and the same day return was only 1 pound more than the one way ticket. Based on my experience, I would not mess around with advance tickets and just buy off peak on the day you want to go. If flexible, adjust your itinerary to be there on a nicer day for weather. Bath is a fantastic town, but much more fun when not raining. Don't miss the Abbey.

Posted by
3428 posts

Tim- they won't be good at any station, because the trains for Bath leave only from Paddington. Use this website to check stations, times, etc. http://www.rail.co.uk/