Please sign in to post.

Luggage locks

Has anyone had a problem with using TSA approved locks when flying into the UK? Are they compatible with UK's security protocol? Suz

Posted by
109 posts

I used TSA approved locks, purchased through RS website, in and out of Gatwick May,08 with no problems what-so-ever. Ditto, Fiomincino and Charles de Gaulle.

Posted by
16 posts

I went in and out of Gatwick March 2009 using them, no problems. We did have one ripped off a bag at O'Hare though!

Posted by
23281 posts

The fact that you didn't have any problem with them does not mean anything. TSA approved locks are ONLY good from travel in the US. My personal opinion is that they are a waste of money. We always use a heavy plastic cable tie -- if TSA wants in, they will cut it off and I am out a nickle. Just be sure you are carrying something to them off on your arrival -- a toe nail clipper works well.

Posted by
9363 posts

I use the locks on my luggage on every trip and have never had a problem checking my bag in at a foreign airport. The UK security won't care what kind of lock you have when you arrive -- they don't check incoming bags because they have been checked on the other end. I've used my locks on the way home, too, and haven't been asked to remove them, though the last time through it was apparently removed for a search in London (there was a note in the bag when I opened the locked lock at home).

Posted by
449 posts

This is what I do: I go to a hardware store and purchase a pack of small padlocks that use the same key; I think I can get may six padlocks and keys for $10. When I pack my bags I scotch tape an open padlock on a piece of cardboard which includes a note to the TSA inspector to discard the lock which as been cut and use the open padlock; this is left at the top of my belongings.

Posted by
881 posts

Suzanne, as said above TSA approved locks are only approved by the TSA for the US. Does not guarantee what other countries will do.

In Heathrow, British customs cut the zippers off my bag to get past the locks. They do this often if your bag is chosen for inspection, as it's easier to cut the zipper, than the locks, sadly. :( Can make agood bag useless or difficult to use.

I simply use string loops on each zipper, and tie them through each other. I've never had anything stolen from the bags in 20+ cross Atlantic flights, and customs/security knows how to untie them and is kind enough to tie them back up.

I don't think I'd ever travel with a lock on my bag for a flight again. Though I might keep a couple in the bag if I don't have a good vibe about where I'm leaving it in storage or a hostel/hotel. Hope that helps.

Posted by
39 posts

Thanks for the replies....I think I'll use a little of all the suggestions: use the TSA locks when travelling to NY from CA. Then make use of the cable ties when travelling to UK. I'll still have my TSA locks for my luggage left in the hotel room. :)

Posted by
486 posts

Suzanne, you might consider Geor's suggestion regarding locks but instead of locks, use the plastic ties and leave a note for the inspectors asking them to put a new tie on the luggage.

Posted by
15067 posts

Anything of value should be in your carry-on. If you can't afford to lose it, don't check it.

Posted by
780 posts

Once again I agree with Frank 2. I never check anything valuable nor have I used locks. My bag was searched once that I know of (they stick a TSA notice in it).I always carry on anything that would render me near hysterical if it got lost. Same goes for the way home. I check the stuff I brought with me and carry on photos, souvenirs, and gifts. That way, if my old knickers and dirty tshirts get lost in my checked bags, im not gonna cry about it. I would be devastated if I lost my photos, souvenirs and grossly large amounts of European Chocolate. :)

Posted by
445 posts

I never lock my bags flying from Newark to Heathrow.
But I carry on anything of value. Once I had a notice put in my bag that it had been opened. But that was once out of about 20 flights!

Posted by
875 posts

We always use TSA locks on our luggage. The only problem we had was on a connecting flight from Paris to Dallas -- connecting at O'Hare in Chicago. The locks were broken on both our pieces of luggage and a bottle of French cognac was stolen. Nothing was taken from my luggage. Never had any problems in Europe.

Posted by
39 posts

Oh no...not the cognac! That's an item that definitely would have been in my carry on. ;) I once bought 3 bottles of Cassis in Paris and you best believe that went right to the seat with me. LOL

Posted by
445 posts

You cannot carry bottles of wine, cognac,water in your carryons anymore!

Posted by
23281 posts

Maryann, you can IF you buy in the duty free area behind security. But if you connect in the US it will have to go in the checked luggage at that time.

Posted by
780 posts

Just to clarify: yes you Can put bottles of liquids in your carry on, as long as you dont have a connecting flight. For instance, if you are flying non stop from Heathrow to Denver (like I do) then I stock up on booze and my favorite fruity smelling shower gels and shampoos from Boots, and I can carry it in addition to my carry on as long as it is in the Duty Free bags they give you (they say Nuance or something like that). But if you are say, flying from Heathrow to Philly and connecting to Denver, you cannot carry on the extra liquids on your second leg of the flight. They will put it in as checked baggage for you though.