Please sign in to post.

VAT refund

Could someone please tell me if it's worth it to get the refund for the VAT? It sounds a bit complicated but maybe its just because I have no experience with how it works???
Thanks, Suz

Posted by
23261 posts

It is complicated and really only is worthwhile with big ticket items. But we have never been successful because the paper work is always lacking something.

Posted by
9363 posts

My only experience with the VAT refund is on my trips to Ireland, but I've always gotten it back. You just fill out the forms and have them stamped at the airport and drop them off. A short time later, the refund appears on your credit card.

Posted by
668 posts

I agree with Nancy. It is not really complicated, but you must get a VAT receipt when you purchse the item, your till receipt is not sufficient. You also need your passport number.

We got well over $100 back last time, some from Ireland and some from the UK.

Posted by
5513 posts

I've gotten a VAT refund several times and have never had an issue. It has always been when I've purchased a larger item through a shop that participates in the Global Refund program. They will seal the goods on purchase and give you a form. You are not permitted to use the goods while in Europe. You take the goods, the form, and your airline ticket or boarding pass to their counter in the airport. Sometimes, they will ask to see that you have not broken the seal on the goods. They give you the refund at the airport. This only works if you are flying out of an airport that offers this service and if you purchase something at a shop that participates in the scheme. The website globalrefund.com shows this information.

Another way to get the VAT back is if you ship from a shop directly to the U.S. They will deduct the amount of the VAT, but you will have to pay shipping charges. I usually find that I don't actually save anything (the VAT savings are offset by the shipping charges), but this is useful if you purchase something that you don't want to carry.

Posted by
39 posts

Thanks for the info...it all sounded so confusing. I guess it's truly worth the effort for big ticket items...not your run of the mill souvenirs. :)

Posted by
9363 posts

In my experience, my purchases have not been sealed (though I didn't open packages, etc). Every shop I bought from gave me the correct form (there are three different entities that can issue the refunds), and the refund was prompt. And I have done it for smaller purchases. The store doesn't do any of the paperwork, they just give you the form and you fill it out yourself.

One other point, if the store doesn't charge you the VAT at purchase you MUST turn in the paperwork for the purchase or you will be charged the VAT tax later. So it partly depends on what the store chooses to do as to whether it is "worth it" to file -- sometimes you have to, or be charged the tax later.

Posted by
3594 posts

One more point: most shops have some minimum limit for doing the paper work. Often, it's 100 euros or so. No question of doing it for little souvenirs. We've gotten a refund many times. Only once that I remember did it not come through. Many airports now offer the option of an immediate cash refund (less than the cc refund), which I usually take.

Posted by
655 posts

I agree - it isn't worth the trouble. I did get a small refund for one trip but the check was in pounds on The Bank of Scotland. The fee to cash it in the US was more than the check.

Posted by
5678 posts

When the price is high enough it's worth doing. Most stores in the UK will advertise that they can help with VAT. You get the paperwork from the store and can usually file it at the airport when you leave. I've always had the option of choosing to get your refund through a credit card, which resolves the pounds issue. Pam