Please sign in to post.

Dublin to Dingle

Desire to spend perhaps 3 days in Dublin, then head to Dingle Peninsula. This would be in July Any suggestions about how difficult/easy this might be, using public transit? Getting around Dingle Peninsula, once there: by bus? Please make other suggestions about must-see areas, but please remember that am most probably limited to train/bus Suzanne

Posted by
484 posts

Taking the train from Dublin to Dingle is far preferable to taking the bus. The bus gets pretty cramped and rough after a few hours of bouncing around. The train does involve one change but it is simply standing on the station platform for about 10-15 waiting on the next train.

Posted by
9363 posts

How long is your whole trip? If it's short, you might be better off to stay in the Dublin area (or fly into Shannon for the west).

Posted by
28 posts

Whole trip is 3 weeks, but probably want to spend some time in Suffolk due to family connections.....Do you know anything at all about public transit to and in Dingle? Thank you for any input. It's not a "short trip" but I simply cannot drive on "wrong side" at age 61 yrs., for the lst time~ Would appreciate any Dublin or Dingle info. that you might have. I have plenty of time - Suzanne

Posted by
8700 posts

You can take trains from Dublin to Tralee (usually requires a connection in Mallow) and a bus from there to Dingle. Or you can take buses all the way (connections in Limerick and Tralee). See the Journey Planners on the Irish Rail site and the Bus Eireann site. My Rick Steves Ireland guidebook lists these bus tours: Moran's Slea Head Tours and Sciurid Archaeological Tours. My Lonely Planet Ireland guidebook lists those and adds one more: O'Connor's. Both books list boat tours departing from the Dingle harbor and frequent ferry service from Dunquin to the Blasket Islands.

Posted by
39 posts

Having been to Dingle a few times - I must say I don't recall a train station. I hope I'm not speaking out of line here - but there's no train service to Dingle.

You can get to Tralee - but that's as close as the train gets to Dingle.

Posted by
484 posts

The train does only go as far as Tralee and then you take Bus Eireann on to Dingle,about an hour and a half trip. The bus leaves from the train station.