Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to Trafalgar near midnight

We arrive at Heathrow on American Airlines (Terminal 3 I think) Tuesday at 10:40 PM. We will have checked luggage. I am very confused about tube service. Will be be able to make tube connections at that hour? I know there are car services and cabs but golly, the difference in price between the tube (or maybe a night bus?) and those services is huge. Our hotel is the Grand Club Quarters at Trafalgar Square. We're 2 guys and not too concerned about walking to the hotel at that hour from a tube stop. Should we be more concerned? Any suggestions or transportation options for this journey would be very welcomed. We'd dearly love to save those big bucks, but would love even more to be in a bed by 1:00 AM. Thanks!

Posted by
291 posts

The Underground begins to shut down about midnight and it normally takes about an hour to get through customs/baggage at Heathrow at that time.

Worst case scenario is you miss the last Underground train. When the Underground shuts down at Heathrow there is a night bus service, route N9 that goes to Piccadilly Circus about every 20 minutes which is about half a mile from Trafalgar Square. Get it from the Central Bus Station, signposted from T3.
If you get the Underground but miss your last connection at Hammersmith for Embankment then stay on the Heathrow train, again to Piccadilly Circus.

Both Charing Cross and Embankment Underground are convenient for your hotel, Enbankment being more convenient for connections to Heathrow as the interconnection at Hammersmith leaves from the same platform.

Posted by
2055 posts

THank you, Bob for the information. That night bus looks prety good at this point.