Please sign in to post.

3 days in Ireland

We have three uncommitted days in Ireland this June and would like to see what we can of the countryside. Would anyone recommend the 2-3 day train or coach trips from Dublin? We don't feel comfortable driving at this point.

(I noted one comment that the trains were not very scenic because of the the hedges...)

Any suggestions would be helpful...as novice travelers we are hoping for minimal stress and maximum craic.

Posted by
9363 posts

I have always driven, but understand your reluctance to do so. If it's a choice between train and bus, though, I'd vote for bus since you would see more. I can recommend a couple of areas to see on your day trips. Newgrange and the Boyne River Valley are wonderful (north of Dublin), as are Glendalough and the Wicklow Mountains (south of Dublin). Some of the Glendalough tours also include Powerscourt.

Posted by
1806 posts

You could try Northern Ireland. There are regular trains (and buses) running between Dublin and Belfast. In Belfast, it's an easy/fast connection to a regional rail line to the coastal town of Portrush where (in summer months) you can catch a free hop-on/hop-off shuttle bus from the Tourist Information Center which will take you to the Giant's Causeway, Dunluce Castle, etc.

Posted by
319 posts

If you are into history, you might consider the Newgrange and Hill of Tara tour offered by Mary Gibbons Tours. My wife and I took this tour a few weeks ago and loved it.

Newgrange is an ancient passage tomb which is older than the Pyramids. A fascinating exploration of ancient culture and religion in Ireland.

Hill of Tara was the seat of the High Kings of Ireland for hundreds of years. We were told that on a clear day you can see 3/4 of Ireland from there.

It's a one day trip by bus. They pick up around 10ish and have you back in Dublin by 4ish.

Whatever you do, enjoy! It's a beautiful country.