Please sign in to post.

Gatwick to Heathrow

After 9 days in Ireland, we will be arriving at Gatwick at 2:00 pm and then leaving from Heathrow at 8:55 the following morning. Sounds like taking our luggage to London and spending the night there is the best plan. We could use help with details such as to lodging and Tube stations to make this as easy as possible. We're not looking for hostel nor luxury accomodations. Thanks!
Liz B. Olympia, Washington

Posted by
2775 posts

Hi Liz, if you spend the night in London that will mean that you would have to leave the hotel by 6 or 6:15am to be at the airport by 7:00am. What I would recommend is the following, take the express train from Gatwick to Victoria Station. Take a taxi from Victoria Station to Paddington station. Take a train to Windsor which is a 40 minute ride. You could have a lovely meal at a pub, walk to Eton which in only 4 blocks aways, take a pinic meal down to Windsor Great Park. The Ye Harte and Garter Hotel is right across the stree from Windsor Castle with wonderful views of the castle. We stay there every time we are in Windsor. There are other hotels and B&B's to chose from. Heathrow is only a 15 minute taxi ride from Windsor. Windsor is so nice and relaxing in the evenings. I really feel you would be happy going there.

Posted by
9 posts

Hi Robin,
Thank you for the suggestion. I never would have thought of it. I spent a few hours in Windsor about 10 years ago and it was delightful. My husband has never been to London and would like to spend the evening in the city, so we'll probably go that route.
Thanks again,
Liz

Posted by
8700 posts

The Arran House Hotel (www.arranhotel-london.com) is a B&B in Bloomsbury that has both standard rooms and dorm-style rooms at hostel-like prices. To get there from Gatwick, take a Southern train (cheaper than the Gatwick Express) to Victoria and the tube from there to the hotel. You'll have time in the morning to travel by tube to Heathrow if you take one of the earliest trains. Use the Journey Planner at www.tfl.gov.uk for recommended routes and times. Go to the same site to download and print a tube map.

Posted by
3428 posts

Staying in Windsor is a good suggesstion. We have stayed at the Castle hotel. Nice rooms. But you don't need to take a taxi to Paddington to catch the train to Windsor. Just take the Tube. Easy!
You could also consider staying at a hotel in the Paddington area and take the Heathrow Express the next morning.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We are now home from our London layover. (car bombs on Friday, same day we arrived) We ended up taking the Gatwick Express 15 pounds apiece to Victoria Station, then took the tube to Paddington and stayed at the Paddington Station Hilton. There is walkway connecting it to the Paddington train station from where we took the Heathrow Express at the crack of dawn. All went well~Thank you.