Please sign in to post.

5 Days in Ireland

My two adult daughters and I will have 5 days to spend in Ireland. We will fly into Dublin on Friday and would like to spend Friday and Saturday night seeing the Irish countryside,then return to Dublin for St. Patrick's Day celebrations. So we would like to go directly from Dublin and spend the week end either in Co. Galway, or the Dingle Penninsula. In Galway I am considering staying in Clifden or Doolin, or maybe Galway City. We will not have a car, so need access to bus or train. The dates are pretty much set because my youngest daughter is studying abroad in Dublin and she must be back for class on Monday. I guess I'm asking for preferences on whether Galway or Dingle would be the best choice.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks for your suggestion Steve. What did you like about Dingle and what did you do?

Posted by
29 posts

I second Dingle. It is beautiful there! It's a great place to relax and soak in the Irish culture. Though there are a variety of attractions around Galway, it's another Irish city and I don't think there's anything really special actually in the city that you wouldn't find in Dublin. Dingle is a much better contrast.

Posted by
484 posts

Considering no more time than you have I would stay closer to Dublin,maybe in County Wicklow or the Kilkenny area. Wicklow is called the garden of Ireland for good reason with Powerscourt,Glendalough,Wicklow mountains etc.

You will be spending most of Friday trying to get to Dingle and with jet lag the day will pretty much be a loss.

Posted by
9363 posts

I agree with Pat on this one. It's going to take you the better part of two of your days just getting to the west and back. You could see plenty of the Irish countryside in the Wicklow Mountain area, as Pat suggested, or in the Boyne River valley area. You could also take a day trip to Belfast.

Posted by
319 posts

I agree with others that going to the west coast does not make sense for you on this trip. You'll be too exhausted to enjoy it. And there's plenty of great stuff to do nearer to Dublin.

Could you fly into Shannon?? Your daughter could travel from Dublin and meet you there when you arrive. From there, you could travel to Dingle or Galway (I'd suggest Dingle).

If this is not doable, then I'd stay in Dublin and take day trips outside of the city. Mary Gibbons tour of Newgrange is great. You can also go south to the Wicklow mtns. and the monastery at Glendalough. You could take a train up to Belfast. There are lots of possibilities, and of course Dublin itself is wonderful.

Best of luck with your planning.