Please sign in to post.

London in ONE day

My dauther and I will be in London for 1 and a half days. I would like to hit the highlights. Suggestions? Is it best to book a tour or take the bus or what? Also what is a resonably priced, clean and safe hotel that is centrally located. I am trying to get the most for our little time there. Any recommendations would be extreemly helpful.

Posted by
2775 posts

Hi Chris, I would recommend the Blades Hotel~~www.blades-hotel.co.uk/. I would see Buckingham Palace, St Pauls, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, Tower Bridge. Since you will only be in London for a day and half, I wouldn't think that you would want to spend hours in one place which you could do at the Tower of London. Not knowing the age of your daughter, I would also suggest the Royal Mews which is by Buckingham Palace, there you will see the Royal Coaches and the Queen's horses, it's a great place to see. Of course you should really take a short walk in one of the parks. Kensington Palace is beautiful and if you would want to sit down for a few minutes you could go to The Orangery by Kensington Palace they serve lunches, teas, etc. Of course it depends on the age of your daughter, to how much you want to get in your day and half. You want to see a lot, but you shouldn't try to race from one place to the next, that would tire you out and it wouldn't be very enjoyable.

Posted by
15807 posts

I agree that the changing of the guard and the British Museum, although wonderful, would gobble up too much of your time. You didn't say what days you would be there or how old your daughter is? I guess I'd go with the previous suggestion of The Tower Westminster, and St Paul's for sure. The Tower and Westminster are both very old and very important pieces of English history. Do check the abbey website for possible closures, hours, etc (http://www.westminster-abbey.org/). You'll appreciate both the Tower and the abbey more if you've done some reading about them beforehand. St Paul's is stunning and doesn't need to take a lot of time to see. As your time is limited, I might try to find a hotel near Victoria in greater London as it's central to many of the sites, and a convenient location from which to catch express trains to the airports.

Posted by
277 posts

Try the Bayswater Inn in Bayswater. Two blocks from the metro. Thr red hop on hop off tour bus.

Posted by
12040 posts

The usual "must-sees" are Westminster Abbey (and the outside of the Houses of Parliament, hard to get an in-door tour), St. Paul's Cathedral, the Tower of London, the British Museum, and the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. I'd skip the changing of the guard- it will devour too much of your precious time, and with the mobs of other tourists, you won't see very much anyway. St. Paul's and the Tower are very close to each other in The City- you could spend half your day there. Although the British Museum is worthwhile, it occupies too much time for your limited schedule.

Posted by
48 posts

I too had a day and a half in London and did the walk along the river to see all the sites, and because I enjoy history and the theatre I went to the Globe theatre early in the morning for the first tour and loved it.

I stayed at Palmers Lodge Hostel quick trip into Picadilly and London Bridge connection.and in my estimation was one of the best I have stayed at. Good morning breakfeast included and free internet downstairs, and a bar room as well.

Posted by
28 posts

I stayed at the Premier Travel Inn County Hall, 100 pounds a night but right on Thames and it is a short walk past Big Ben to observe an Evensong at Westminster Abbey. It might be worth a Big Bus Tour (hop on and hop off) and at least drive buy Trafalgar Square, Albert Hall and observe the beautiful buildings.

Posted by
2030 posts

I agree with Tom above about the Premier Travel Inn at County Hall. If you can get a room there, it is a perfect central location. Clean, safe, and right across the river from houses of Parliament, just walk over the bridge and you will be there, and very close to Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, and a little further on is Buckingham Palace. Not to mention that the London Eye is right next to the hotel. There are even some decent restaurants across the street to get food to take back to your room. I can't think of a better location for a reasonable price in London.

Posted by
3551 posts

Take on and off double decker bus for the highlights. What is reasonable cost to you for London? London is by far one of the most costliest cities in Europe. For 2,approx $150 / night is budget & safe(bath down the hall) in London w/o hostel stays.But try Cherry Court hotel nr Victoria Station.

Posted by
3428 posts

Which airport are you using? That might help determine a good hotel choice. I also encoureage you to "do" the Tower. Then I would look at (but not necessarily tour) Westminster and Parliment, walk down Pall Mall to see Buckingham and St. James Park. Personally, I'd rather spend the rest of the time in Covent Garden Market, Leceister Square and Picadilly area. Windsor is a nice trip (20-30 min. train ride from Paddington station) and the castle there is marvelous.

Posted by
15807 posts

Ooh - Windsor is fabulous! It does take a good bit of time to see though - you might have to short-change London to do that. Do let us know what you and your daughter ended up doing and how it all went?

Posted by
196 posts

I agree w/ other posters about the hop on/off bus. Your daughter would probably love going to the Hard Rock Cafe because it is the original; they have quite the gift shop, too! Walking through the food halls at Harrod's is a unique experience that won't take too much time.