Please sign in to post.

Hadrian's Wall

This is all about HADRIAN'S WALL. Would love to know more about where to go, stay and hike along Hadrian's wall. If we devote two days (possibly 3) with my wife and son of 20 what should we do. We will be traveling from either Lancaster and the Lake District (West side) or from York (east side) to Hadrian's wall. Are there great hikes to see the wall, Roman housing, fortresses, etc?

Posted by
118 posts

We walked a section of the wall a few years ago and still talk about it. We had a great time. Our starting point was near the city of Carlisle on the west end and we traveled east. There are some good national historic sights that give very interesting information along the route and a place where a local train runs close in case you experience foul weather along the way. There must be a place on the internet that shows the trails and stopping points. The locals along the way are a joy to talk to and there's good places to picnic. Have a goog time.

Posted by
233 posts

My mother and I traveled to see Hadrian's Wall in summer 2006. We caught the AD122 bus from Newcastle and went to Vindolanda (our favorite!!) and Housesteads (easy wall walks), then caught the last bus back. We only had one day to see Hadrian's Wall and wished we'd had more, especially to walk to Sycamore Gap. Sites seemed far apart, and it was a very hot day.

Posted by
5678 posts

I walked along the wall near Housteads. You'll really enjoy it. The borders area is a great area in both Scotland and England. I stayed in Hexham. The history of the area is interesting beyond the Roman times. In Hexham there is a great little museum on the Reivers--those from Scotland and England who raided back and forth. You might want to check out this site http://walking.visitscotland.com/ and search on the borders for additional hikes that might interest you in the region. I've searched briefly for a similar site for England and not found one. But there is this great site http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrianswall/ It has information specifically on the trail. Pam

Posted by
75 posts

You need to realize that the places that the Wall is the best are also the places where if the path is not going up it is going down without much flat. We walked from Steel Rigg/Once brewed to Housesteads and took the HW bus back. Great views, but very tiring. The HW bus is one of the best deals for place to place walking. We staayed in Hexam, next time we would try for a bit closer B&B. Check out the HW website as mentioned in the other postings. It is a great resource!

Tom

Posted by
345 posts

I'm heading to England this summer for a month and have an extra week on the end of the trip that I'd been debating what to do with. At the moment I'm really looking into walking the entire length of the wall path, although it might be momentary insanity to consider it.

I've found that there's plenty of information on the internet from people who have done both short and long walks along the wall. As well, there are quite a few guidebooks dedicated to walking the wall. If you google Hadrian's Wall walk blog there are quite a few blogs out there that detail the length of the wall and give pictures which could help you to decide what portions are the most appealing to you.