Please sign in to post.

castles

Which castle should I take my 6 & 7 year old Grandsons - Windsor or Warwick. And any suggestions of where to stay near by.

Posted by
1358 posts

You can take them to both. They are different and should interest your grandsons. Easily reached by the Underground system.

I suggest when you get there that you look for a B&B near the castle you choose to visit. That will be more convenient for you.

Posted by
11507 posts

Well , from a young chlids perspective, I would say Warwick. It is sort of a Disneyland experience for kids... and adults too. Don't take that the wrong way, I mean it is real, , but it is exactly what a young boy would think a castle looks like. It has a great moat, you want through the big gate etc. There is a dungeon, and narrow hall way and stair to walk . There is even ( best of all,, LOL ) a castle toilet. Meaning a hole in the ledge over the moat ,, , kids and adults always find that amusing.
I assume this is a summer trip, and if it is , then you are in luck. They do a lovely jousting tournment show on the grounds. With full set up , the tents with banners flying, the horses in full armour and "war gear" the "knights" in their full set ,, its nararated and is funny and infommative.. My son( although much older then yours) loved it. It also had a giant catapault demonstration.

I did find the food from the concessions not very good and over priced,but I suppose that is any tourists attractions downfall. Bring water at least.

PS They do have a website, have you seen it? Just google for it.

Posted by
1358 posts

Read the answers to the question listed below:
LONDON-what's the most scenic day trip (by rail)

Posted by
2779 posts

Hi Sara, both castles are great but I enjoy Windsor the best. You could do Windsor as a half day trip from London. Take a train from Paddington Station to Windsor the castle is a five minute walk from the station. There is plenty to see at the castle and you could also enjoy Windsor Great Park and Eton which both are eight minute walks from the castle. To get to Warwick you can get a train from London Marylebone station the castle is a mile from the station so you could walk or take a taxi. A post above stated that you could get to both by the underground, I'm sorry to say that is not correct.

Posted by
1820 posts

If you go to Warwick, also try to visit Kenilworth Castle which is within twenty miles of Warwick. It is ruined, but beautifully so. It is interesting for children (and adults) to see both a restored castle (Warwick) and one that has fallen to ruin. Kenilworth's ruins are quite extensive. You can see some of it in the first Elizabeth movie. Another good castle in that area is Old Wardour (used in the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves movie.)
We did not much like Windsor, although it is popular. It is very ostentatious---rather like Versailles. Inside it is more of a palace than a castle.

Posted by
11507 posts

Good idea Cynthia,, as a child I myself preferred the "ruins" of a castle,, to palaces,, they seemed more magical and interesting!
A six and seven year old are still very much into the fantasy aspect of castles, knights, dungeons etc..
My own 14 yr old, while he enjoyed the Loire Valley Chateau, and Versailles, was more fascinated by some ruins a relative drove us to in France then all the fancy restored and more "modern" palaces.
I even recall in Canterbury I was delighted to wander by some ruins of an old church,( thanks to King Henrys campaign against the Roman Church) , I can't recall the name, but it was a nice surprise.

As noted Sara, Windsor is not really an old "castle" in the way young boys may think of a castle, Warwick is definately more fun for kids, and Cynthias suggestion sounds great if you have a car.

Posted by
207 posts

I haven't made it to Windsor castle yet, but I really like Warwick and think it would be great for a child.

Posted by
1292 posts

If I was picking one for a 6 & 7 year old it would be Warwick. Windsor is more of a tour where as Warwick is more of an experience. I think their imaginations will come alive at Warwick. Windsor is more for people who are interested in the Royal Family. (I have done both myself)

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello sara. When I was in Warwick Castle I thought : any American boy at Warwick Castle would be glad he came to England, especially if he is there on a day when the sun is shining and the sky is blue. My nephew was at Warwick castle on a day when the sky was covered by dark gray clouds, he walked up to the top of the big tower in the rain. He was glad he went there ! Warwick castle is the best medieval castle in England, but it is not large, and it is only a shell with buildings that were built in the 1800s.

Posted by
1717 posts

Kenilworth castle is empty on the inside, and the walls were partially demolished. It looks better from a distance -- from the parking lot, which is at a distance of 1/4 mile from the castle. It is an impressive sight, and it is a yellow color. Warwick castle's walls are gray. When I visited Kenilworth, I thought it is one mile from Warwick. The Lonely Planet book on Great Britain says Kenilworth castle is located six miles from Warwick.

Posted by
2349 posts

You can often find those pretty books full of pictures in the bargain sections of bookstores. Books like "Castles of Britain" etc. (Just made that one up so don't go searching!) That may get them excited and familiar before you go. It will also contribute to the tingly "I'm really here" feeling we all treasure as travelers.