Please sign in to post.

Cost Per Day

Assuming things don't get too much worse in the months to come, how much would you guestimate the cost per day to be for travel in the UK during shoulder season and staying in B&B's and NOT counting auto expenses.

Posted by
10344 posts

Eddie: We can give a better answer if you provide more information about your trip: Your cost in the UK depends partly on whether you'll be staying in London and, if so, about how many nights in London? (London is one of the most expensive cities in Europe, esp. for accommodations) Other things you can tell us about your trip that significantly affect the trip cost you're asking us about are:What are your preferences for eating: restaurant meals, grocery shopping, high budget eating, low budget eating?What's your general itinerary? You said "UK" but that could include England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland?How many people in your group? If you can post again telling us more about your trip, we can be more helpful.

Posted by
1358 posts

Not enough info about your trip to give you advise. Everyone travels differently. Some skimp and look for ways to save; so they spend less. Others like luxury and extra services; so they spend more. Only you can determine cost per day for your travel.

Estimate what you might spend here at home and use that as a guide. You can get by in Europe living just like you do here. The only unknown is how much you spend on accommodations. Read this page and the archives for best help on what others spend.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks Kent. There is only my sister and I. We plan to pick up the car at LHR and head toward Oxford then work our way to N.Wales, The Lake District and depending on how much time we have left, maybe Yorkshire and back to LHR via the East Coast. We have 4 weeks. We'd like to spend only a day or two in London. We plan to eat mostly in pubs and have picnics. It's been a few years since I've been to England and I'm hoping to get some idea of what I'm in for.

Posted by
174 posts

My husband and I spent $250 a day on our October, 2007 trip. This included B&B lodging, meals, sightseeing, transportation (Oyster card in London and train to York), and a rental car. We had mostly picnics and pub meals. The GBP was at over $2 then, so I imagine you could do a bit better now.