Please sign in to post.

London in 5 hours

I'm passing through London on my way to Doncaster in a few weeks. I'm landing at Heathrow at 8am and need to be on the train to Doncaster at Kings Cross around 3. What are you suggestions for what I should check out in that time? I was thinking of storing my luggage at one of the rail stations. Is it better to just take it straight to Kings Cross and then head out to check out the town?

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Posted by
28 posts

I am not sure what to suggest at this point, but be mindful that customs at Heathrow could take a while depending on how crowded it is.

Posted by
643 posts

I'd hang out in Trafalger Square and have a pint.

Posted by
993 posts

Storing your luggage at Kings X before exploring is a good idea. They should have a left luggage dept. With your time constraints, I would also go back to Trafalgar Sq and visit the National Gallery and St Martins. I'd have a cream tea at either place and wait to have several pints in Doncaster. From Trafalgar Sq it's also and easy walk to County Hall for a ride on the Eye. BTW what is in Doncaster? If I may ask.

Posted by
175 posts

I would consider two plans: One rainy/one dry. The temp will be in the low 50's at best.
Your wet plan should include: A) Tube to the British Museum if you enjoy Art. Trafalgar square then eat at Gordon's wine bar on Villiers St, all right together. Or pub of your choice. B) Tube to visit St Pauls Cathedral then walk across the Millennium bridge to the Tate Modern or Shakespears's Globe theatre or both depending on time, again all together. Or pub of your choice. C) Hop-on Hop-off bus. You see all the biggies quick/easy/dry.
Dry plan: A) Tube to Westminster pier admire Big Ben, Parliment and Westminster Abbey then turn right onto Whitehall and take the walking tour suggested by RS in his Brit book. I would highly recommed taking the time to tour the Churchill Museum & Cabinet War Room along the route. This walk will leave you at Trafalger Square. Enjoy

Posted by
3551 posts

After customs and transit into London you don't have alot of time. If this is your first trip to London then see the sights on the hop on- off bus. It will give you highlights. Ck routing ahead online to make sure schedule works for you.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions!! I'm actually heading to Doncaster to visit a client, we have a three day set of meetings.

Posted by
29 posts

I would take the tube to Westminster Station and visit Westminster Abbey for whatever amount of time you have available. If this will be on a Sat/Sun check the times it's open before you go...check their website for times.

I'd allow a good 1 - 1 1/2 hours from the time you land till your out of Heathrow.

Posted by
347 posts

I could be off...but if I recall correctly Trafalgar Sq. is on the opposite side of the Thames from the Eye...I'm not sure I'd call it an "easy walk". I agree that you should store your luggage at Kings X first, then you know you won't have to worry about getting back to your luggage and back to Kings X when you are ready to go. I would vote for St. Paul's and possibly the Tower depending on your time.

But taking Customs into consideration, along with the length of the tube/train ride from Heathrow to Kings X (which may require switching trains) you really are only looking at a couple of hours. Don't try to over-plan your time. I'd pick one "area" to visit and see what you can.

Posted by
15134 posts

Cary's right...the walk from Trafalgar Square to the Eye is not that short.

I'd stay in the area of King's Cross--British Museum, Covent Garden, St. Pauls are all a few minutes by tube from Kings Cross.

Posted by
977 posts

The Brtiish Libary is just down the road from Kings Station(on Euston Road - about 5 minutes walk)) A wonderful place to spend aan interesting and informative couple of hours.

Posted by
977 posts

The Brtiish Libary is just down the road from Kings Station(on Euston Road - about 5 minutes walk) A wonderful place to spend an interesting and informative couple of hours.

Posted by
264 posts

Stormy - I would offer the suggestion of taking your bag to King's Cross. Straight shot on Picadilly Line from Heathrow.

At that time I would assess how much time you have before you need to head up to Donny. If things have taken a little longer than planned take a quick visit to the British Library. It is right there.
If time permits head back towards central london and check out Westminster etc.

You will lose about 15-20 minutes to go up to Kings Cross. But you will not have to carry your bags around, you will get a general idea of the layout of the station, and you will be able to time your return back to Kings Cross well.