Please sign in to post.

First Time Traveler

This will be my first traveling to London, England. My sister has a timeshare so no worries on accomondation.I wear braces on my legs but plan on taking a casual visit first time around. If we can plan to also a stay in Scotland. Is there anything else I should start planning for yet?
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Hopefully not till next October 2009.

Posted by
3428 posts

Are you interested in day trips out of London? Private message me for some ideas. We have been to the UK more than 40 times. Scotland and London are my favorites!

Posted by
5678 posts

As you plan your trip you should get some guidebooks if you haven't already. Rick Steves is good for England and so so for Scotland. You should also look online. There is a great site for Scotland www.visitscotland.com. I find it really helpful. I'm sure it will be a great trip.

Posted by
8700 posts

Voltage in the UK is 220-240. You'll need to either bring a dual voltage curling iron or buy a 220-240 volt one when you get to London. If you bring one from home, you'll need a plug adapter. You can buy one for the UK in the Travel Store on this site or from your local Radio Shack outlet.

If this will be your first trip to Europe, I suggest that you click on the Travel Tips tab at the top of the page you're reading now. The articles you'll find there are condensed from Rick Steves' book Europe Through the Back Door. For more complete information, buy the 2009 edition.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you Toni and Pamela. All advice will be greatly appreciated! What if you wanted to take curling iron with you? Will that be a problem anywhere?

Posted by
32224 posts

Connie,

Regarding the Curling Iron, you may to have a look at www.magellans.com as they stock a dual-voltage model. You can also order Plug Adapters from them (the UK style have three large rectangular pins).

You might also want to have a look at any other electrical / electronic products that you're planning on taking, to make sure they will operate on 220-volt electrical systems.

Cheers!

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you Tim and Ken! I sure will take your advice.

Posted by
9363 posts

Connie, check your local Walmart and Target for dual voltage curling irons. Their prices are better.

Posted by
780 posts

I got a dual voltage blow dryer ($13) and a dual voltage flat iron (Also $13) at Target. They have curling irons as well for the same price, dual voltage. The similar ones go for about $30 at Magellans.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you Nancy and Tami! I sure will check this out.
We hope to spend at least two weeks.Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!