Please sign in to post.

Ireland in October

My husband and I are planning a trip in October 2009. What is the weather and prices like?

Posted by
3551 posts

Prices are high in general when compared with Spain, germany or france. And weather is cold, windy on coast and rain off an on. Ireland Bk by Rick STeves will fill you in on price details and temperatures

Posted by
32201 posts

Beth,

I was in Ireland on a RS Tour in October '07 and the weather was quite nice, mostly sunny with a few partial days of rain or overcast. I was told that October can be one of the better months for weather, but of course there are no guarantees.

I found the costs to be generally consistent with other areas where the Euro is used (or the UK Pound if travelling in the north). Of course, it's difficult to predict how favourable this will be next October, given the current economic situation. Hopefully the world economies will be back "on track" by then!

Happy travels!

Posted by
100 posts

Hi Beth,

My husband and I traveled to Ireland in late October (actually arrived on the 31st) and stayed into early November in 2005. We actually had great weather at this time. Some rainy days, but that's to be expected in Ireland any time of the year. Without the rain we would not have seen so many rainbows! Along with that, though, we also had quite a bit of sunshine. It was a great trip. Try not to plan to much based on weather. Plan for it to rain any time of the year in Ireland and just enjoy it. Do as the locals do and step inside a pub for a pint if it's rainy. By the time you are done, chances are the rain will be too!
Oh, and as far as prices go, if you are careful you can make it work on a budget. The dollar is not as strong as it is here ofcourse, but I am sure you already know that. Ireland is worth the exchange rate. If you are ever curious as to what the rate is just google currency exchange rate and it will give you a link where you can convert any currency to another.
Happy travels!

Posted by
319 posts

The key in Ireland, no matter what time of year, is to dress in layers. The weather is fickle and you need to be flexible.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks to everyone for your advice about Ireland. It gives us lots to think about and more homework to do.

Posted by
12040 posts

Although cooler than Florida at that time, October weather in Ireland is fairly mild (as is most of Western Europe). But the only constant to Irish weather is that it will likely rain. If you stay reasonably dry, you should stay comfortable.

Posted by
12 posts

Spent two weeks there this October, the weather was wet,dry, cloudy, sunny,windy and calm. If you don't like the weather just wait ten minutes and it will change.
We will be returning October of 2009.
Travel was slowing so we got breaks on B&B prices but no reduction on any other prices but I knew that going in so we were prepared.

My suggestion is if you could go no where else in Ireland be sure to see Dingle.
Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
8 posts

My parents have been to Ireland many times, and most frequently go in late October. Weather is damp, so I second the dressing in layers. For warmth, take a couple of layers that aren't cotton -- wool, fleece -- and a good raincoat.

They love to attend the Irish Trad Music Festival in Ennis when they can -- usually late October or early November. They are also really fond of Donegal. My mom and I both really like Westport. Farther south, the Gap of Dunloe is gorgeous.

Be aware of shortened hours or closed attractions, hotels, and restaurants because October starts the "off" season, though it's not as closed down as winter. Watch out for bank holidays too -- there's one near the end of October.

Posted by
38 posts

Hi Beth,

Don't be too discouraged with all the talk of rain! We can get a number of days without a drop in October. Just be prepared when it comes!. With regards pricing alot depends on what time in October you intended on coming over. The 26th is a national Holiday (Bank Holiday) so it might be slightly more expensive around this weekend.

In early October you've got the Ballinasloe International Fair (3rd -11th) Mostly Horses but it will give a rare experience of Ireland. If you like Irish music a new festival called Feile Frank McGann is gaining in popularity the last few years (8th - 11th)

Late October has the Cork Jazz Festival (23rd - 27th) and also a Galway Race meeting (25th - 26th) not the biggest meeting of the year but great fun none the less!
Hope this helps