Please sign in to post.

Travel in Ireland

I'm spending a week at the end of a month long trip in Ireland. It will be the week of St. Patrick's Day. I'm debating between a 10 and 15 day flexi pass. My travel days will be spent by the time I get to Ireland if using a 10 day. Is it pretty easy and/or cheap to travel around Ireland or would it be smarter to spring for the 15 day pass? Thanks for the feedback. :>

Posted by
9363 posts

The train system in Ireland is not as extensive as it is in other parts of Europe. Depending on where you want to go, you may or may not find train transportation at all. Buses go everywhere, though. You'd probaby be happier with the 10 day pass, and could take the bus in Ireland.

Posted by
319 posts

I agree that public transit isn't a great option in Ireland. If you are up for it, then you might want to consider renting a car. It is a bit nerve-racking to drive in Ireland, but it's the best way to see the country.

It partly depends on what you want to see. If you plan to spend your time primarily in cities like Dublin, Belfast, and Galway, then public transit should do you just fine. But if you hope to get out into the countryside, then it can be a tough way to travel.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you so much everyone for your help! :}

Posted by
1014 posts

Just fyi- most cars in Ireland are straight sticks. A car with automatic transmission will cost you close to double in rental rates.

Buses go but when you get to the hinterlands, they only run once or twice a day so you will have to get a schedule and make sure you can get to and from wherever you want to travel. See: http://www.lookintoireland.com/ireland_bus_services.htm

Posted by
12172 posts

I'd go with buses. They're cheap and will get you everywhere you want to go. As always, don't spend all your time on the train or bus. Pick a few top places to visit and give yourself time to see them.