Please sign in to post.

Overnight layover in Dublin?

We fly into Dublin from Rome at 2pm on our way to JFK the next afternoon. We've never been to Ireland and would like to experience a little that evening and early next morning. We are huge history buffs, love food, and will have our shy 15 year old son with us, so nothing to wild. Any suggestions, also for a hotel or B & B close to the airport?

Posted by
319 posts

Carol,

You may not have time to do much unless you're leaving late in the afternoon the next day. By the time you get through customs and into Dublin, you'll be close to closing time for many attractions. If you make it in time, the best options for history are the Book of Kells at Trinity College and Kilmainhaim Gaol, which has a lot of the history of 1916 and Irish independence.

In the evening, I'd take in some traditional Irish music. Cobblestones Pub has one of the most authentic sessions in Dublin. You might ask at your B&B about others. Or you could go on the Musical Pub Crawl. It's a great intro to Irish music, and your 15 year old would probably enjoy it. It's not very wild, even though it takes place in pubs.

Best of luck with your planning. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
10 posts

Carol,
We stayed outside of Dublin at the Swords/Tulip Inn, it was near the airport and actually had the best shower ever. We already had a car, so we drove into Dublin, parked at Phoenix Park, and took a hop on/hop off sightseeing bus for the day. From our hotel we also spent a morning going to see Newgrange which I highly recommend.
Have fun!

Posted by
196 posts

Carol: I totally agree w/Michael. What he suggests is the best way to get a 'taste' of Ireland.