Please sign in to post.

London to Liverpool

I have about 6-7 days to get from London to Liverpool using the rail system. Are there some good towns/cities en route to stay for around 2 nights each? The prices for rail lines seem quite expensive, so I am guessing it would be better to stay at each place for more than 1 night each.

Thanks... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
12 posts

Not many people going to Liverpool I guess. We made this trip a couple of years ago but went directly to Liverpool, sorry. The view out the train window was interesting so the time passed quickly. Don't mention Man United in Liverpool though, caused a lot of good natured ribbing.

Posted by
15251 posts

Jared, the distnce between London and Liverpool is 178 miles/286 km. The train takes 2 1/2 hours.

There are lots of things to see but dont' think of it as between London and Liverpool. Look at it as a week of sightseeing before you have to be in Liverpool.

How about Edinburgh, York, Bath, Oxford, and so on.

Posted by
1014 posts

Would look into driving and seeing the countryside and the out of the way places. By driving, you can stay in small b&b's, in small towns and get to know the people and area better at your speed, not the trains.

Posted by
643 posts

I would also highly recommend renting a car and traveling that way through the countryside. Stay in small towns, maybe get a room above a pub!

Posted by
1446 posts

Jared, we drove it. Along the way, we went to the Cotswilds, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwick Castle, Ironbridge, and Chester. We stayed in B&B's along the way - it was quite nice.