Please sign in to post.

Heathrow Express

I am departing for Edinburgh in less than 12 hours so I am trying to get all my questions answered before I leave hehe

Is there a need to purchase tickets a day or so earlier for Heathrow Express?

On a separate note, what is the number of passengers that will make it cheaper to take a cab or shuttle to Heathrow from say Paddington Station area than it is to take Heathrow Express?

Thanks!
Joel
http://ithinkiamgettinglost.blogspot.com

Posted by
643 posts

Heathrow Express is a non-stop high speed service from the airport to Paddington. We took it and it was simple, fast, and comfortable. The Heathrow Connect is not non-stop. The tube is the best bet if you don't mind about 20 stops between the airport and central London. We took the HE as free vouchers came with our London Plus Pass.

Posted by
9106 posts

There is no need to purchase Heathrow Express tickets in advance. A taxi from Heathrow to central London will be about $125USD. Be aware that if you're taking the HE on a weekend and your party is 4 people or more, you can get a group rate at 50% off the normal fare. Also there is a cheaper alternative to the HE called the Heathrow Connect which will save you money as well. Finally don't forget about the tube; the Picadilly line goes from Heathrow to Picadilly Cirus direct in about 45 minutes-this is your cheapest option.

Posted by
780 posts

Michael, Does the Heathrow connect pick up at Paddington station, or does it have a separate station? I tried looking at the site for the HC but it doesnt say, just has the address...

I will be using it as well in December. I will be staying in Paddington for my last night there and it seems that the HC would be cheaper than the HE and I dont want to use the Tube becuase I will be leaving around 8:30 am during tube rush hour and want to avoid having to do that with all my luggage... ugh...

Posted by
8700 posts

Tami, were you on the official Heathrow Connect site? The Heathrow Connect departs from Paddington Station--and the site clearly indicates that on both the home page and the timetable page.

Posted by
780 posts

Ohh maybe I wasnt on the actual site, i suppose it could have just been on some travel thing...

Posted by
1003 posts

I took the Heathrow Connect to Paddington last year. I can honestly say I don't understand the point of the Heathrow Express - it's significantly more expensive and I don't even think it's that much faster (maybe 10 minutes or something?). Heathrow Connect was perfectly fine - I bought my ticket from a machine and the train was perfectly modern with plenty of luggage room, etc.