Please sign in to post.

Passports

Hi: Does a person always have to have their passport on them? I am going to England and will be traveling around the country. I would like to leave the passport in the hotel in a safe and have my driver's license for identification. Is it better if I have my passport with me all the time?
Thanks,
Jane

Posted by
135 posts

Yes, keep your passport on your person in your money belt at all times.

Posted by
1806 posts

Technically, you are supposed to have it on you at all times - but I regularly left mine locked up at my lodging. You should, however, scan your passport into the computer and be able to access a copy of the scan in the event you ever lost your passport or it got stolen.

Posted by
1358 posts

I know there must be some travelers who carry their passport at all times, but I do not. A drivers license will confirm identity.

No one asks for it normally. Only when you enter another country and then not always.

If you do carry it be sure it is in a neck pouch where it will be safe and you can get to it easily. A money belt is too hard to fish out and return. A neck pouch slides inside your shirt and stops at your belt. Always easy to retrieve.

Posted by
15142 posts

While you don't have to carry your passport with you, I always feel safer carrying it with me at all times. (This way I never forget it.)

It is safely tucked into my moneybelt which means I can get to it in a matter of seconds if needed.

Find the type of moneybelt you prefer to carry--waisbelt, neck pouch, hidden pocket (my preference), leg stash.

Posted by
9363 posts

You'll get opinions on both sides, but I prefer to carry mine at all times. I like knowing where it is and having access to it if I should need it.

Posted by
864 posts

20 years ago I always had my passport with me. Last 10+ I've left it in my European B&B, hotel etc. It's safer at a reputable B&B or hotel than on me wandering around tourist areas. I've always had a xerox copy of my passport on me along with my original driver's license (in my money belt). No one has ever, except at border crossings, asked me for my passport, EVER. My husband ALWAYS carries his passport and he also has never been asked to produce it except at the airport. He'd be a nervous wreck without it. So, there you go! You do need to always carry some sort of government issued I.D. with you and in the third world I'd carry my passport everywhere. England is pretty darn civilized.