Please sign in to post.

train from london to edinburgh

we are flying into Heathrow and trying to arrange the train fride right to edinburgh on the same day. What is the best way to do this? Can you leave right from heathrow? Any good advice?

Posted by
5678 posts

This is not hard. There are people who will have the specifics. But the trains leave from Kings Cross and so you'll need to get into the city and to that station. My sister and I did this trip back in 1977 from Gatwick without troubles. I think it's actually easier now. The trip is 4-5 hours. Pam If you look in Plan Your Trip on this site you'll find links for train travel in the UK.

Pam

Posted by
4 posts

we get into heathrow at 7:00 am and want to be in edinburgh the same day. We just weren't sure how much time we should give ourselves to get to kings cross from heathrow and what train to take. We are also going by train to pitlochry then to Glasgow back to London any advice would be appreciated.

Posted by
4 posts

we get into heathrow at 7:00 am and want to be in edinburgh the same day. We just weren't sure how much time we should give ourselves to get to kings cross from heathrow and what train to take. We are also going by train to pitlochry then to Glasgow back to London any advice would be appreciated.

Posted by
3580 posts

I passed thru LHR to KingsX area in May. Passport control was very quick for once. Our plane was scheduled to arrive at 7 am; I was at KingsX at 9 am via the Tube (Piccadilli line). The Tube trip was about an hour. You need to figure in some time to get to the Underground (Tube) station (a long walk) and get your tix for the Tube. Tube trains run every few minutes. If you are held up at passport control, it may well take an extra hour getting out of the airport. I would allow the extra time and schedule a train from KingsX at 10:30 or 11 am to be on the safe side. If you find yourself with time on your hands, find a restaurant at KingsX or St Pancras Station (next door) or just go shopping for snacks, etc for the train to Edinburgh.

Posted by
4555 posts

Ah, Pitlochry....what a lovely town! Several trains/day Edinburgh-Pitlochry..anywhere between 1:45 and 2 hrs..the longer trains change at Perth. Same with the trip to Glasgow from Pitlochry. You can save a bundle by booking ahead at nationalexpresseastcoast.com.

Posted by
8700 posts

When are you taking this trip? If you book train tickets online far enough in advance to get a really cheap discount fare (as low as £14), then it would pay to go into London and take the train to Edinburgh. Otherwise, stay at Heathrow and fly BMI to Edinburgh. The sooner you book, the cheaper the fare. A last-minute train ticket will cost as much or even more than a plane ticket.