Please sign in to post.

plug adapters?

Hello all,
We are traveling to England/Scotland and I am not sure if I should get the 2 or 3 prong plug adapters. Could someone advice me to which one to get? Thanks!

Posted by
6 posts

Get a set of world adapters, and you will have one for whatever type of plug you find.

Posted by
484 posts

Amber, It is the three prong adapter. Just make sure that whatever you are plugging into it will handle 220-240 volt ac.

Posted by
712 posts

Bought the one I took at Best Buy. I also saw them at Target. They come in a set for all of Europe. Radio Shack also carries them or you can order them online.

Posted by
32198 posts

Amber, you would only need three prong Adapters if you'll be connecting "grounded" appliances. Could you provide some information on what types of devices you'll be using with this?

For the U.K. you'll need Plug Adapters with the large rectangular pins. Note that some outlets there are controlled by a switch. You might find it helpful to check www.magellans.com or www.kropla.com for pictures of the various plug adapters.

As someone else mentioned, it's VERY important to ensure that any devices you'll be using in Europe are designed for operation on 100-240 VAC electrical systems!

Cheers!

Posted by
1455 posts

Amber, I got my adapter at the London airport. The duty free shop sold the Americas to UK adapter for 3 pounds.

So don't worry if you can't find the adapter here.

Posted by
67 posts

Check out the prices in different stores. I purchased mine for $30.00 and then found my traveling companion had gotten one for under $15.
Pays to check around.

dale

Posted by
11 posts

Y'all are aware that the two-prong and three-prong adapters are for sale on the Rick Steves site for $3.95 each?

Posted by
508 posts

Most luggage stores also sell the individual adaptors for about $3-$4. There are charts on the back of the packages indicating where each one works and store staff can tell you which ones to buy.

Posted by
9363 posts

My package of world adapters was less than $8 at Target. Why would anyone want to pay $4 apiece for individual ones, particularly if you're not sure which exact one you need?

Posted by
643 posts

I think I paid $7.00 at the Rick Steves store in Edmonds.

Posted by
484 posts

Nancy, Because you will not have a drawer full of adapters that you will possibly never use.