Please sign in to post.

London to Bayeux, France

We are traveling from London to Bayeux for a DDay Tour. We were planning on taking the Eurostar from London and would love to rent a car at some point in France and drive to Bayeux. Does anyone have any advice on where we could get off the train (after the Chunnel-Calais or Lille) and rent a car? Or is there a better way to get to Bayeux from London. Thanks! Caren

Posted by
591 posts

If you want to save some money, Eurostar may not be your best choice. London to Calais will be at least £45.

An alternative would be to take a train to Dover, then take a ferry boat to Calais where you could rent a car. The ferries take about 1.5 hours to cross the channel and cost between £14.50 - £16.50. Check http://directferries.co.uk/ for schedules. It's also more exciting to approach the coast of France on board a boat rather than coming out of a hole in the ground (right, I hate tunnels).

Posted by
1455 posts

Caren, if you are doing this as a "day trip" I'd see about spending a night in the Normandy region. I found that area is spread out, and not as condense as it looks... even with a car.

You can do the D-Day beaches, spend the night, and then do Bayeux, maybe even swing over the Mont St. Michel (about 1.5 hours away from D-Day beaches) before going to Bayeux.

I agree with Tim in finding an alternative route than the Eurostar. The ferry sounds like a great way to get to France, and you'll be closer too.