Please sign in to post.

Paris in late August: Air Conditioning?

I've read RS's Paris book and he seems to suggest finding hotels/B&Bs with A/C during the summer months, if possible. How important/necessary is this? I welcome any advice. Also, any suggestions on hotels in the Rue Cler neighborhood? Thanks!

Posted by
1589 posts

You are on the wrong section but AC in August in Paris is a must have IMO.

Posted by
45 posts

I think it depends how accustomed to having AC you are. I was in London and then Paris in early September and it was hot (low-mid 80) and muggy. The place I stayed in London had AC and I was very glad of it; I was staying with a friend in Paris and they didn't have AC and that was fine. I don't have AC at home so it was a delightful luxury when someplace had it but not a big deal, for me, when they didn't. Your personal comfort zone will have a lot to do with whether you need AC or not.

Posted by
11507 posts

One thing about staying in Paris without AC is to make sure your hotel room faces a queit street or a courtyard as you will not be able to leave windows open for air due to noise otherwise.

Posted by
158 posts

the Hotel Grand Leveque recommended by Rick Steves is a great spot and has AC!! Quiet street and close to the Eiffel Tower.

Posted by
643 posts

We're staying in the Leveque in late September, but their website says the AC is only available from June 15-Sept 15. Hope it's not hot in late September!!

Posted by
61 posts

If you must be cool to sleep, go for the A/C!! We were there in July and it was hot and muggy. We started at the Hotel Londres Eiffel near rue Cler and it has A/C. On cool days, I could open the window but I wouldn't have left it open due to the amount of birds that were perched outside on the window boxes.

That may have made for an exciting story thought...=)

Posted by
56 posts

Bryan,
IMHO to go anywhere in Europe in Jul/Aug and NOT have AC is just plain crazy talk. Spent the few extra ducks and save your sanity at the far end of a day touring any Euro city. With rare, exception it is a must. Right now, it is hot & muggy acrossed most of Europe.