Please sign in to post.

stonehenge

We are going to London in August. We want to do JUST stonehenge as a side trip. Any suggestions?

Posted by
208 posts

George-
To get to Stonehenge from London, its best to take the train to Salisbury (I can't remember which station to use - I'm sure someone will post it!). From the Salisbury train station, you can take a bus out to Stonehenge. Give Salisbury Cathedral a look - it has one of the copies of the Magna Carta and is a great Cathedral to explore.
Its my understanding that they've recently renovated the visitor center. I happen to think its worth a one time visit - but I'm enamored with the standing stones around Britain. You might want to check out Avebury - you can get up close and personal with the stones if you're interested. I do not know how to get to Avebury but you've got plenty of time to figure it out.

On a side note - since you're interested in going to Stonehenge, National Geographic Channel is advertising a special on Stonehenge - it might be something to look at. I believe its on June 1 - but check your local listings =)

Posted by
10344 posts

Here's a link to a prior discussion, if you browse some of the replies you'll see a tour company that goes to Stonehenge from London: click another link: clickand another: clickand more if you search on stonehenge in upper right search box.

Posted by
9 posts

Hi George - we booked a day trip to Stonehenge in July from London with Vic's Taxi. I haven't been able to find out too much information about him but the price is reasonable (for London) - same cost as doing a big bus tour but this it private. He's picking us up at the Salisbury Train Station and then taking us to Stonehenge, Avebury, Bath and Old Sarum. Check out his website and look on here in a few weeks for a response from a woman who is doing the Vic's Taxi Tour this month.

I can't guarantee he's good since I haven't done it yet but I'm hoping :o)

Posted by
8658 posts

Do the train. Believe it was from Waterloo Station and don't recall it being a long trip. Hour and a half maybe. Try to be on the first tour bus to Stonehenge. For me an amazing place and they still have no clue to what it really was. Anyway do visit Salisbury and the cathedral. Beautiful. Can't say if the Indian restaurant that was near the train station (The Shah-Jahan) is still there BUT we enjoyed the food so much we nearly missed the last train back to London. Enjoy!