Please sign in to post.

Money Question

I am going to be in London and Edinburgh for a total of 10 days. I will be doing this on my own and all of my accomodation is already paid for.

Do you think that 50 GBP is enough per day (total 500 GBP) or do you think that i will need more?? i will have extra sitting there just in case, but i just want to make sure that i am on the right track...

Posted by
1806 posts

Just depends on how much sightseeing you will be doing that will actually cost you money. If you have a general idea of what you'll be seeing, check the websites for admission costs (many sights in London are free, others quite expensive).

Food and drinks can be your biggest expense in a day. If your accommodation doesn't include a free breakfast, I'd just roughly estimate 35 GBP a day for breakfast, lunch & dinner (5 for breakfast, 10 for lunch, 20 for dinner). If you get takeaway, you can generally eat for far less than that. But if you want to try a nice sit-down restaurant at dinner and have drinks in a pub or club afterwards, you can easily spend a lot more.

Posted by
1455 posts

London is not as expensive as you think...
And as the other person said, it depends what you want to do. If you plan on going to a lot of attractions, you can pay by credit card for the admission.

I think 50 pounds for 1 person for food is sufficient. Breakfast is cheap, and you can find prefixed menus for dinner. Lunch can be just as cheap if you to take away, and there's a lot of nice places which are also take aways.

Posted by
12172 posts

Food and drink are fine on 50 pounds a day. The tricky part will be getting in a good selection of sites on that. Most accomodation includes breakfast. If you eat modestly (pub grub instead of restaurants), you could do well on 50 GBP per day.

Take full advantage of London's free sites. Over a few days you can save enough to buy a half price ticket for a show. Better yet show up at the theater directly if it's not the latest show. Try to get in some walks with London Walks, it's a good value.

Edinburgh is similar except everything but the Art Gallery costs money. The walks from Merkt Square on the royal mile are mostly ghoolish but fun. There are many, try to get one that caters to a more adult crowd. I got on one with mostly little kids by mistake.

Posted by
115 posts

Thanks for the feedback!!!

I will definately add some extra funds to my current amount :)

I was thinking about going and seeing Grease at the theatre - as I don't go to the theatre (ever!) I was wonderinf to I need to prepurchase the tickets to get a good price? Or can I buy them once I am in London?