Please sign in to post.

Oyster Cards

I have been reading about the Oyster card in London. We are going to be in London for about 4 days at the end of April. Plan on seeing a number of sites, should I pick one up at Heathrow when we land.

Posted by
13 posts

My daughter lives in Leeds and we were in London in November. DEFINITELY get the Oyster card......it's sooo easy to use. She said take the Picidilly Line into central London. The Oyster cards never expire and you can top them up if you need more money on them, or you can recycle when you are through and any money left on them is given to charity. The Heathrow Express is much faster than the Underground getting into central London, but she said to DEFINITELY get an Oyster card.

Hope that helps!

Posted by
1455 posts

John, they also have a Travel Card, which they put on an Oyster card.

When you get to the tube, ask the cashier for a Travel Card, which gives you acess to the tube and bus.

The diffrence between a travel card and a regular oyster is they waive the deposit free on the travel card. The charge is flat per day, where the regular oyster is debited based on the trip you take, but will top off if you reach a certain amount.

The next time you bring back your oyster card (travel card or regular) you can reload and reuse.

Posted by
8700 posts

While you can load a seven-day travelcard on an Oyster card and have the deposit waived, one- and three-day travelcards are issued on paper only. Also, if you use an Oystercard as a pay-as-you-go card and don't want to keep the card for future use, you can get back any unspent money you've loaded on the card plus the deposit fee.