Please sign in to post.

Internet Cafes

My wife and I are visiting England, Scotland, and Wales this June/July. We have a blog in order to keep our friends and family updated since we'll be gone for a month. My question is, how do internet cafes work in Britain? Here in Florida, most of the "cafes" are coffee shops with wireless connection (but no desktops to "rent"). Is this the case in Britain? Do we need to take a laptop or are there computers on which we can buy time? A corollary question - if there are computers where we can buy time does anyone know if we'd be able to upload photos from our camera's memory stick?

Any first hand information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Posted by
9099 posts

Internet Cafes are becoming increasingly very hard to find in Western Europe. But WiFi is all over the place. A lot of Starbucks and McDonalds locations will give you 30 minutes for free, and reasonable rates after that. Also, in the UK there are a lot of public spaces that provide free WiFi; places like parks and public squares.

Posted by
89 posts

My experience has been that if it's called an "Internet cafe" (in Europe) it's mostly a place to buy time on computer--more internet, less cafe. I'm trying to remember for sure but I think the one I used on my very brief (one day) stay in London was only computers. I don't know about the photos; there have been a number of discussions about this so if you do a search in upper right box I've sure you'll get more answers than you need.

Posted by
97 posts

Cary,

Last time we were in England (2006) we found that public libraries had computers and you could sign up for at least an hour at a time for about 1GBP. We tried to get to the one we were closest to (Haywards Heath) at times that the kids were in school. The minute the kids came they had first preference.

As you travel you might just ask here and there of the local stores etc.

Don't know about the photos as we were not doing that while we were there.

Oh yes, while we were in London...in the Bermondsey area we passed an internet cafe at least twice a day as we went from Butlers Wharf to the Bermondsey tube...walking along Jamaica Road. It was more costly but we just went for an hour each day.

Try a search near any of the hotels/b and b's/etc where you are staying...for nearby facilities. One place we stayed had a computer in the lobby and we used it for free......if you have reservations nailed down with places ask them too!

Good luck,

Mollie

Posted by
505 posts

Greetings

Whilst some places have fewer internet cafes, at least in Edinburgh, there seems to have been an increase over the last few years in the number of locations with computers available for internet access at a small charge.

In Edinburgh, they tend to be clustered around Tollcross and on Nicholson/Clerk St., but the Elephant House on George IV also has decently priced access. Libraries are likely to strictly limit time and prohibit file uploading. WiFi is just about anywhere.

If you want to be uploading pictures, you might be better off bringing a laptop as long as it's not too heavy. It's not always possible to use your own memory stick in another computer and/or there may be restrictions (time or otherwise) on uploading files to the internet. With a laptop, you can get online anywhere there's WiFi - cafes, libraries, areas around BT phonebooths, many B&Bs and hostels etc.

In the UK, BT has lots of WiFi options - you might be able to buy minutes or a month long package.

Posted by
2775 posts

Cary, there is a internet cafe by the name of EasyInternetCafe~~http://www.easyeverything.com/map/index_uk.html~if you go to this website it will give you the locations. They have six locations in London, several in Edinburgh, Glasgow, etc. They are great. We use them everytime we are in the UK.

Posted by
4 posts

Just got back on 3/31. They're eveywhere, not a problem.

Posted by
9 posts

I have to agree with Scotland Kate that you may have a problem using your memory sticks in an internet cafe/library computer to upload files, because they would be concerned about viruses. They may have ways to do a virus scan before you actually use their computers, though.

If you take your own laptop, one thing you can do to save time when you do get to a place with Internet access is type your blog entries out in a wordprocessing program, save them, and then just copy and paste the entries into your blog when you're connected. If you only have 30 free minutes, you may not want to spend that time typing out your blog entries. You might want to check your e-mail or upload those photos!

Have a great trip!

Kate

Posted by
606 posts

It has been my experience that the more developed the country, the harder it is for a tourist to find an Internet Cafe (a place where you pay for time on one of their computers). Of course, very touristy places generally have some around for tourists, but in these richer countries, all the locals have a computer at home, so Internet Cafes are only for tourists. Therefore, it's hard to find one if you happen to be, say, in Winchester England where there aren't that many tourists.

Of course, you can always go looking...and looking...for a library, but it's not like there will be an Internet Cafe a block from your hotel.

Conversely, in South American cities, where they aren't as affluent as western Europe, there's an Internet Cafe on every street corner. They are primarily used by locals, people who can't afford to have a computer at home, but can afford a few dollars once in a while to get online at an Internet Cafe.

Posted by
347 posts

Thank you. I think we have decided that it will be easiest to just take the laptop. Other than our initial trip through London when we arrive and our trip to the airport at the end, it won't be "on us" during the day except to travel to a wireless location. Upon further reflection, I walk around with my laptop all the time at home, I doubt there is much more chances for breakage or theft than there is walking around my town with a laptop.

Thanks again.