Please sign in to post.

14 day Trip to England Sept 2008

We are going "across the pond" for a visit in September. I used up all my Frequent Flyer Miles and got a package with 1st class seats and 4 nights in London. I'm thinking of buying a day trip out to Bath and Stonehenge on one of our days in London and then heading into the Cotswolds for a few days. Then make our way up to Liverpool, Blackpool, into Scotland then back down to Grimsby (my Grandparents were from there), and some other towns in the area and back to London. We want to use the trains as much as possible and just get a car to look around in certain areas (not in London). My questions are: Is the bus trip to Bath any good? Where is a good town to stay at in the Cotswolds? (I like arts and crafts, shopping.) Is Blackpool worth it ? Or is it too Kitchy? Has anyone stayed at the Beatles Theme Hotel? Can you play golf at St Andrews in Scotland? Any good towns in the north east part of England? Has anyone been to Grimsby? I at least have to stop in for an afternoon. Any suggestions on where to do Laundry along the way? Can you rent an Apartment for just a few Days? Most I've seem are for the week. Sorry about the laundry list of questions but I've never been to the UK before and I'm so excited !!! Thanks So Much Susan

Posted by
61 posts

Can't answer some of your questions but as to the one about north east England, there are some very nice towns. We have a "sister college" there so I've visited several times. It is the North Yorkshire Moors area - beautiful scenery. Some good sites to see: York and York Minster, Durham and the cathedral there, Whitby, the Farn Islands and Innisfarn, the North Yorkshire Moors National Park, Scarborough, Robin Hood Bay,and many others. If you are Harry Potter fans, the area was used for many of the exterior scenes for the movies and the North Yorkshire Moors steam train is the one used as the Hogwart's Express. Whitby is one of my favorite places. It is on the North Sea coast and is the location from where Capt. Cook sailed on his voyage when he discovered Hawaii. It is also one of the places in the book Dracula. There is a great fish and chips place there called the Magpie Inn.

Posted by
9363 posts

My dad and sister were fortunate enough to get to play golf on the Old Course at St. Andrews. In order to be allowed to play they had to put their names in for a daily lottery (only so many people are allowed each day). In addition, they had to have score cards certified by their home golf pro attesting to their handicaps. I believe it was also expensive. It's not something you can just go and do on a whim.

Posted by
8658 posts

Can't answer all but will address some. If you like history and wonder, then both Bath and Stonehenge are excellent day trips from London. Don't know about the bus trip. We took the train. There are self serve laundromats along the way. Give yourself some time in London. It's a fabulous city to explore on foot, by bus and via the Underground. Museums are mostly free and there are many to enjoy. The Tower of London can take a whole day. It's expensive but I must say definitely worth it. Since it is your first trip I suggest The Museum of London. Will give you great insight into London's history. As a Beatles fan consider taking the Original London Walks Beatle tour. Fun and informative. www.walks.com I've been to London a doz. times and never tire of it nor taking one of this company's walks. Lastly, check out Vancouver Studio Apartments in Bayswater. Don't have to stay a week there. Basic but clean, comfortable & safe. Rm 213. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
220 posts

Susan, I did the Bath-Stonehenge excursion by bus several years ago and really enjoyed it. It gave us a nice break from driving on the wrong side of the road.