Please sign in to post.

3 Days in London

Hello!
I am currently studying abroad in southern Spain, I will be traveling to London for a long weekend trip in May. Any advice on what to do/ ways to save a penny in this pricy city would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
Ashley

Posted by
43 posts

First, if you stay at Cherry Court Hotel on Hugh Street, it's £55 per double, ensuite room per night. And it's just a block or so from Victoria Station. At Cherry Court there are brochures that have a 20% off coupon on many sites in London. THEN, on the www.walks.com website there is a 20% off coupon for whatever you purchase at Casa di Caffe. Also, at Cherry Court they give you a fruit basket consisting of two tangerines, two bananas, two OJ packs, two granola bars, and two cookies. Also have coffee and tea making facilities in room. That works for breakfast. Eat your biggest meal at noon, for it will be cheaper then. Cafe in the Crypt at St. Martins or The Place Below at Mary le Bow Church or The Refectory at Southwark Cathedral are all good prices for lunch. Then for supper, stop by the local Sainsbury for hard rolls, a pack of ham and a pack of cheddar slices - and Cadbury chocolate.

We just got back from London for a week with two teenagers. more later.

Posted by
43 posts

Average cost of food per day per person was 28 USD. Not bad.

Must see Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, Tower of London. Picnic in St. James's Park. The Big Bus Tour gives you an overview of the city which is helpful.

Have fun!

Posted by
158 posts

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the Parliment Tour. A pleasant surprise ....since we didn't really expect it to be so interesting and informative. Of course the Tower of London and the British museum are well worth your while. Do take a big bus tour to "see the sights"!

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Ashley. High priority places to visit in LONDON : Westminster Abbey, National Gallery, Victoria & Albert Museum of decorative arts, British Museum, St. Paul's Cathedral, Royal Kew Gardens. And, eat lunch near Covent Garden (it is a good place for people watching). A person could do all of that in two days.

Posted by
3428 posts

Covent Garden Market, Leciester Square (for people watching), Thames Bridge near Parliment, Windsor Castle, Greenwich, Kew Gardens.

Posted by
28 posts

One way to save some pennies is to attend an evensong service at Westminster Abbey and or St Pauls cathedral. The service is free and the experience is memorable and inspirational.

Posted by
43 posts

AND, in response to Al's response, one must not forget the ubiquitous Cadbury bar. They're pretty cheap, really, I think about 47p for a dairy hazelnut YUM YUM YUM and finish off a nice lunch of ham and cheddar on a coarse wholewheat hardroll (with butter, of course) and 'crisps' and a 2 L. bottle of water. We took (from the US) little protein flavor packs that the kids liked flavoring their water with. Oh. and when you do eat out, ask for 'tap water.' It's FREE (as opposed to any other beverage you might ask for!)

Posted by
658 posts

There are many ways to save a penny in London.

Sometimes they are so obvious they tend to get forgotten.

For a cheap, filling, low cost meal there is nothing better than a huge bage of chips. I'll be the first to admit that your doctor would not approve of a diet of chips, but with plenty of walking excercise ( and walking is THE best way to enjoy London and it costs nothing to walk ) the damage of a high fat, high carb diet is slightly reduced. Remember to go easy on the salt as that makes you very thirsty.

Next look out for the magic words 'ALL YOU CAN EAT' there are plenty of Pizza joints on the Tottenham Court Road that provide low cost Pizza and as much salad as you can eat. There are times in life when good manners go out the window and the spirit of Homer Simpson invades your body - this is one such occasion. 'All you can eat' is the holy grail of the cash strapped. A lot of chinese resturants do an 'ALL YOU CAN EAT' Sunday buffet for around GBP12.00 per head.

Posted by
1455 posts

The musums have affordable meals and they weren't bad. I also ate at the pubs, and took advantage of their early specials.

I used hotwire.com and got a great hotel rate. I'm staying at a Sheraton this June and paid $110 per night. That's in dollars, not pounds!

Posted by
588 posts

Definitely Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, and a evening sunset from The London Eye . . . about 8:00 pm. Kew Gardens is too far out but a cruise the Big Res Bus Tour is a great way to see London. I do the bus tour in every major city . . . a great bargain!
Eat at deli's in the grocery stores or in pubs. Harrod's is always on my list . . . I'm just amazed by the food court.

Posted by
83 posts

Hi Ashley,
You have already been provided a lot of good advise. Remember that the most popular museums are free. I spent 4 days in London last year in June doing the museums, walking and gawking and I saw or found more sites while I was lost then on purpose!! I have kept journals of my trips in 2004 and 2007 and I recommend you keep a journal. One that is small enough to keep with you so you can make notes during the day. When you read them years later it's amazing the memmories they jog even of the ones you didn't write down. Enjoy!! Pam

Posted by
261 posts

Although it might be too late, try to get tickets for the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. It's free, but you have to reserve in advance. You ( and about 50 others) get to watch the guards go through a 500 year old ceremony to sercure the Tower. Narrated by a Beefeater. Google Ceremony of Keys to find out how to make reservations. We loved it.