Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Dublin?

If a person only has one day to do a day trip from Dublin, what would you recommend? I would like to see some Irish countryside. Thanks!

Posted by
484 posts

I would look for a tour that includes Powerscourt and Glendalough. There are several companies which offer these tours including Bus Eireann which I took and enjoyed. Irish Rail does a half day tour of Avoca(Ballykissangel) and Glendalough.

Posted by
808 posts

You might like to chat up your Flight Crew if the opportunity presents itself. Often we only have 48-72 hours at destination and often become expert at "speed touring".

I like the sound of previous poster's suggestion. Must look into that for next time!

Posted by
189 posts

Matt, either do one of two day trips: Mary Gibbons Tour of Boyne Valley (www.newgrangetours.com) or Wild Wicklow Tour to the Glendalough monasteries, Gardens of Powerscourt and Malahie Castle. Dorsey

Posted by
8667 posts

As much as I LOVED Newgrange, Glendalough made me feel like I was truly in the land of my ancestors. Literally brought tears to my eyes and caused chills up my spine as I walked around St. Kevin's.

Posted by
12040 posts

For more information, there's a great TI sitting near Dublin castle in a converted church. Although I have not visited it, I believe the ancient tomb at Newgrange lies within daytripping distance.

Posted by
9363 posts

Having been to both, if you have to choose between a day trip to Glendalough and one to Newgrange, I'd definitely vote for Glendalough. In addition to the ancient monastic settlement there are beautiful lakes to hike to and a wonderful little museum with a very informative film about Ireland in that age of history.