Please sign in to post.

driving in Scotland

My husband and I will be touring Scotland for three weeks and I thought it might be useful to have a couple of gas credit cards so we don't have to use our cash for gas. My regular credit card charges 3% for foreign exchange which I'd like to avoid since the price of gas is already high. I know of BP since we have that here, could someone tell me another company to look into? A quick search of BP stations showed them to be mainly in the south and we will be spending at least half our trip going from Thurso to Oban along the west coast.

Posted by
505 posts

Greetings

You should have cash anyway - most petrol stations here do not have the self-service credit card payment set-up. And if they do, it's unlikely that you would be able to use them because it would require a chip & pin card.

Usually, you pay inside, and you should have cash just in case there machine won't take your card (most places can swipe cards, but up north, some places might not have a chip & pin alternative.

Kate

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks Kate, this is good to know. How much is petrol going for in Scotland now anyway?