Please sign in to post.

theatre tickets in London

I see that some websites that sell London Theatre tickets (eg. London Musical Tickets) are very expensive. Over $200 (CAD) for one ticket to Dirty Dancing or Joseph or Chicago.

I have used the Half Price Ticket booth a couple of years ago and seem to recall paying about $80. for We will Rock You. Have prices gone up so much or is it just that the agents overcharge? If we wait to buy them at the half price booth the day of the show are we likely to be out of luck.
I remember being told at the booth at The Lion King never goes on sale. What about other shows?

Posted by
8566 posts

Lion King and the other popular shows don't go on sale at the Half Price booth.
The day of a performance you can go to the theatre box office and see if there are available seats. Sometimes folks have reserved in advance and are then no shows. Ask for an obstructed view. You might miss a bit of something but still see the show. Or see if there are single seats. You can get together and have ice cream during intermission. That said, if you don't need to see the BIG shows the seats at the Half Price booth have always been great when I've bought them. First row many times. Enjoy your visit. London theatre is great. I love telling how I saw the quintessential American Broadway play, Guys and Dolls, in London from box seats.1/2 price ticket booth. Fabulous, just fabulous!

Posted by
1455 posts

I went on Londontown.com and got discount tickets for Spamalot. I forgot the face value but I saved 20 pounds per ticket.

The ticket booth in Leichester square sold us once Chitty Chitty bang bang for 1/2 off but we got there early, and were willing to split up.

We also got Blood Brothers but regretted going. The cast we saw was terrible!! Show wasn't bad but was ruined by an awful actor!

Posted by
5470 posts

Ida, If the tickets are 200 CAD, they are adding on charges. Typically, the most expensive seats at the box office are around 60 GBP.

When I need to buy full price tickets, I typically go to this website
http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/
This is the site run by the Society of London Theatre. There will be a link to buy tickets (typically through ticketmaster).

If you want to see what shows are typically available at the half price booth, check this list
http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts/today
The list changes daily, but it will give you an idea of what might be available.

theatremonkey.com also gives info on shows, prices, and seats

Posted by
258 posts

I went to Dirty Dancing last fall and it was fabulous!!! Of course it was also very expensive. You will not find Dirty Dancing tickets at the half price booths, because it has been and continues to be sold out all the time. I very luckily was able to snatch a ticket the morning of a show, but paid a pretty penny.

I think basically you are only going to find shows that have been around for quite a while or ones that are not selling out at the half price booths. The popular shows are not going to be available there.

Posted by
3428 posts

Check out Albemarle of London. We have used them for many years. Have always been able to get seats to top shows at good prices. If you want the biggies, it's best to book in advance.