Please sign in to post.

Day trips from London

Just moved to London and haven't had a chance to explore outside the city at all. My two sisters (26yrs old) are coming to visit from 12-23 March. We're spending the first weekend in Edinburgh, weekdays in London, and have Easter weekend open. I'm thinking a daytrip on the Saturday - should we do Oxford, Cambridge, Stratford-upon-Avon, Brighton, or Bath? We've never driven before but want to see the countryside - are buses an option?

Posted by
12040 posts

Also- Canterburry, easily reached by rail.

Posted by
359 posts

Windsor castle/town is another option for an easy day trip and the bus is an option for all the choices you or the posters have mentioned. So is the train, and I'm not sure you'll gain any advantage by renting a car. With you living in London you can visit a travel agent (or the bus/train stations) and for no cost see what deals are out there by bus/train over the Easter weekend (the holiday may complicate issues in terms of what's open). You and your sisters will love Edinburgh (pray for sun). Google NationaExpress for bus and NationalRail for train scheds, prices, etc., and at least get a feel for the time/price involved in getting to/from the different spots.

Posted by
1383 posts

The closest of your choices is Brighton. We're only 50 minutes from Victoria by train, and they run every 30 minutes.

Also, of your various choices, Brighton is the only one on the sea and we generally have slightly better weather. (We're protected by the Downs.)

Having put in my bid for our local economy (!) any of your options are great days out. My favourite of the others would probably be Cambridge. I love the river, the colleges and the pubs.

I'm not convinced by using buses rather than trains. They are a bit cheaper but what you'll mainly see is motorway rather than countryside, and they take an age in traffic coming out of London.

On the other hand if you opt for train check the schedules here

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/index.html

There are engineering works planned for easter weekend and some lines will be closed entirely. Details here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/mar/08/transport

Have a great time wherever you go.

Alan

Posted by
8293 posts

No one ever suggests Winchester for a day trip and it is just an hour on the train from Waterloo Station. The cathedral is magnificent, the High Street is lively, and the Tourist Office, at the bottom of the High Street, close to the King Alfred Statue, will give you maps & suggestions. Very picturesque small city.