Please sign in to post.

Scotland

I am travelling in Scotland between Christmas and New Year 2008. I am considering renting a motorhome and going as far north as possible. Any sugggestions on 1. the feasibility of doing this in mid-winter, and 2. what are the weather conditions in Scotland during this time? Thanks. M

Posted by
359 posts

Your suggested Scotland motorhome travel in the dead of winter intrigued me, so did a few 'Googles'. Probably no surprise that the average hi/lo temps for Dec/Jan is 32/-7 +/-. That said, it also appears the lowest precipitation for the year is Dec/Jan; bear in mind, though, the precip could well be in the form of snow at higher elevations. Think raining in WVan but the Coq's closed down because of snow. Checked a few Scots motorhome places and you also luck out w/low season prices (although over Xmas/NewYrs may cost you). My biggest concern would be driving a fairly large vehicle, with probably a standard shift, on narrow roads and on the wrong side of those roads. I have enough trouble in the UK with a car, never mind a motorhome. I must admit, it 'twas me, I'd forgo the motorhome that time of year and do bus/train/even car. Enjoy the Scottish B&B/pub hospitality without tying the stomach up in knots trying to manouver a motorhome around the countryside.

Posted by
208 posts

How far north are you considering? Mainland Scotland or to the islands? I ask as some of the ferry crossings may be limited during the non-tourist months.
I celebrated the Millennium in Scotland, arriving 24 Dec and leaving 7 Jan. The weather was INCREDIBLY cold (lived in Detroit at the time) and we were witness to one of the few true Scottish "White Christmas'" on record. Are you planning on sightseeing? Many places will be closed or have limited times of availability. Something to consider if you have your heart set on seeing something.

Would it be possible to elaborate on your idea for a bit more help?

Posted by
5678 posts

What are you trying to accomplish on this trip? Are you doing the motorhome because this is how you like to travel? I have to agree with the other posters. It's going to be cold; it's going to be wet; the roads will be skinny. I have to say that in all my 9 trips to Scotland I dont't think I saw a single motor home on the road. Most of my driving was north of Edinburgh and a lot north of Inverness or in the West. I don't want to discourage you from going off season. I bet it would be great. I'm dying to go to the music festival in Glasgow in the January some year. So, while it's dark and cold, I think you'll find some bright and cheery people.

Pam