Please sign in to post.

12 Days In Ireland

We will be in Ireland for 12 days flying into Dublin. Plan to head to Belfast and tour north coast. After that not sure if we head towards Dingle going west or double back to Dublin and then head south. We plan to drive but prefer staying in as few places as possible and take day trips instead of moving every night. We can fly out of either Shannon or Dublin. We want to experience the small towns, country side and people of Ireland. Any suggestions on itinerary? We are willing to use public transportation and pick up cars in differnt locations. We are in our 50's and have traveled Europe often. We want to see as much as possible without feeling we are driving all the time. Thanks

Posted by
484 posts

Does Donegal figure into your plans? It is such a ruggedly beautiful and less visited area of Ireland that most certainly should not be missed.

Posted by
4 posts

It could be I have heard it is very pretty too. We are open to anything but were thinking of trying to get to Dingle and Ring of Kerry area and any other areas in between.
Thanks

Posted by
9363 posts

Your best bet would be to fly out of Shannon. That way once you get to the west, you can range farther north without having to allow time to get back to Dublin.

Posted by
196 posts

I agree w/nancy fly in to Dubs and then you can go North. You may want to consider Donegal as someone else advised... then go south to enjoy the lovely West a(I am partial to the West) and SouthWest(ie: dingle)is very do able in 12 days. I also agree w/you about parking oneself in one spot for a few days and take day trips out. You can to this easily. You can also choose a few one nighters. If you decide to park it for at a few locations I would suggest: Dublin; Donegal town; Galway and Dingle ... that way you can branch out and enjoy yourself.

Twelve days is good. :)

Posted by
196 posts

Also, check out "One week in Ireland for Active Travelers" started by Sarah... I'm the crazy one w/the three page post!

:)

slan

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Kathy
I highly recommend doing the west coast of Ireland, including Galway, the Ring of Kerry and a small town called Doolin - very beautiful!