Please sign in to post.

London Hotels

I will be traveling with four senior parents in September and would like some ideas on where to stay in London that would be well located for sightseeing, nice and clean and moderately priced.

Posted by
12 posts

Hello Marianne,
I don't know what your idea of moderately priced is, but the London County Hall building has two hotels in it - a Marriott and a Premier Travel Inn. I've placed the links below.

http://marriott.com/hotels/travel/lonch-london-marriott-hotel-county-hall/

http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/dropdownSearch.do

We are staying at the Marriott next week and I will reply to this post after we come back with a more detailed description, but the County Hall building is very centrally located and has many, many sightseeing attractions located across the river and right next door (it is located right next to the London Eye).

Hope this helps,
Carrie

Posted by
15 posts

My family of four-2 adults and 2 children (10 and 16)-were in London for a week in June 2006 and stayed at the Holiday Inn Mayfair. The hotel is perfect location, in an excellent area of London. It was clean and the rooms were small by US standards but adequate. It was the best priced of any hotel in the area. The location was great. Buckingham Palace was a 10 min walk away, and a tube station was a block from the hotel. The hotel is usually not listed in any travel books, which may be a good thing.

Posted by
2779 posts

My favorite is the Radisson SAS Portman hotel in the heart of the Westend - walking distance to Buckingham Palace as well as Oxford St. It'd modern, stylish, very accessible even for elderly people, excellent service... and their prices are OK for London.Keep in mind that there are three Radission hotel chains in the world: The one with the yellow underline is the American one and is rather average 4. The one with the green underline is Radisson Edwardian, the UK one and is rather... well, different from the others. And last but not at all least is the one with the blue underline, the Radisson SAS, which is the Scandinavian and Continental European one, 5 service at 3-4* prices, modern Scandinavian design, and food that's just catered to anybody's requirements.

Posted by
2030 posts

The County Hall Travel Inn and the Marriot hotels both exist in different parts of the old County Hall building on the banks of the Thames, just across Westminster Bridge from the Houses of Parliament. I have stayed at the County Hall twice and like it a lot. It is very reasonable for London, not fancy & not views - but then I was never in it except to sleep. The location is perfect. I believe the Marriot does have great views and all amenities and is quite pricey, but it would be great also I'm sure. I'd like to hear about it when you get back!

Posted by
2775 posts

Hi Marianne, you have to remember that a lot of the hotels in London does not a lift (elevator). So if the parents are not able to climb up stairs be sure ask if they have a lift. We stayed at London Elizabeth Hotel, londonelizabethhotel.com and loved it. It's a two minute walk to the tube station Lancaster Gate, it's across the street from Hyde Park and The Swan Pub is around the corner and they have great food.

Posted by
5 posts

My husband and I have stayed several times at the Flemings Mayfair hotel on Half Moon Street. You can often get rooms there as part of a "package" through Orbitz, American Airlines, or Northwest Airlines. There's an elevator, and the location is great great great -- on a quiet street just off Piccadilly, just a short walk to the Green Park tube station (which is on the tube line that comes directly from Heathrow, so that's easy), walking distance to shops, restaurants, Buckingham Palce, Westminster, etc. And -- very helpful concierge! Will get you great (sold-out!) theater tix and restaurant reservations. We've gone to several restaurants recommended by the hotel over the years and have always enjoyed them. Great hotel -- we wouldn't stay anyplace else! Have a great trip!

Posted by
3428 posts

If you are arriving at Gatwick airport, I'd recommend the Victoria Thistle Hotel. It is right in Victoria Station. Very convient for the Gatwick Express. Nice resturants in the area. Extremely close to Tube. Can get anywhere in London in a few min. We have stayed there many, many times.

If you are arriving at Heathrow, maybe stay at the Hilton in Paddington Station. Same convience as Thistle. We have stayed there one time. VERY nice.

Posted by
1455 posts

I stayed at the Premiere Inn as the first person posted. Its reasonably priced (for London) and centrally located. Let's put it this way... if you can find the London Eye, you can find your hotel! Laugh. The hotel has plenty of elevators and they have disabled rooms too. If you are looking for price, you can also take a gamble on hotwire.com. Last 2 times I chose a 3 1/2 star hotel and got lucky. Ended up in Theatre district at the Hilton Wardorf. The rooms were teeny tiny but the location... THE BEST!

Posted by
3580 posts

I've used www.londontown.com to find hotels. There is quite a selection and price range. Many areas of London are conveniently located near good transportation. I've stayed in the Earl's Court area and in West Hampstead. Both areas are not "central" but have excellent access to the tube. The hotels around Victoria Station are more convenient for walking in central London, if you prefer not to have to rely on public transportation.

Posted by
993 posts

And still another vote for The Travel-Inn at County Hall. We have stayed there many times and tho it is one of several Travel Inns in London I think it is the best situated. One can walk from/to Trafalgar Sq and the theatre district.

Posted by
12 posts

I had previously posted that we would be staying at the Marriott in the London County Hall Building and would post a review once my trip was over. The Marriott was remarkable - we had four adults in a room with two queen beds, the room was quite large. Along with the two VERY comfortable beds, it had a desk, a couple armchairs, and a nice size restroom. The hotel does have an elevator, but if you do end up booking a room there, be sure to ask for a room closer to the elevators as it can be a long walk if they put you in the back of the hotel. Next, the rooms are a bit pricey, but sharing them with three other people made it less expensive for us than staying at the Travel Inn. The location is perfect! It's next to the London Eye, across the river from Parliament, and you can get on a river cruise too. I would highly recommend the river cruise as it allows you to relax while seeing many attractions on the River Thames. Hope this review helps and have a great vacation!!