Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Ireland

Any recommendations on rental companies in the Dublin area? We are renting in Dublin, driving west and dropping off at Shannon airport. The Sixt company seemed to have reasonable rates, but I have heard many nightmare stories about different companies, so....help!

Posted by
525 posts

Try Autoeurope. We've rented/leased from them several times and no problems. If you're vacation is 17 days or longer, lease the car. You buy the car and turn it in at the end of your trip. No problems. We love Ireland, ENJOY!!

Posted by
199 posts

Stephanie, I would try not just AutoEurope, but all of the companies that have facilities at Shannon. I think if you go to their website the rental companies are shown. Next fall we are picking up our car in Belfast and turning it in at Shannon. The far-and-away best price was Alamo.

Posted by
5 posts

When you are looking at rates, make sure you're looking at the entire rate including CDW (this one's a killer) and the other optional insurances your would like. Make sure you get the details from your credit card company as you will need to show these as proof if you wish to decline the CDW. Our credit card includes CDW for all countries EXCEPT Ireland, Israel and Jamaica. We've learned this the hard way.

Posted by
39 posts

I agree with Jennifer. Do yourself a favor an call, call, call. I found the info on the websites to be . . . well . . . perhaps lacking in clarity.

Whether prices for Excess CDW, taxes, location "surcharges," I could never get a straight answer from the website. I ended up calling several and booked with Irish Car Rentals (they are Sixt).

We're picking up in Dublin and Dropping in Shannon, the agent on the phone confirmed that I can drop off in Shannon before they open (flight leaves 7:15), and I received an all-inclusive quote (taxes, surcharges, excess CDW, etc).

It was also nice to talk with a human at the rental desk in Ireland as well . . . a bit of soothing refrain from the bores of on-line booking.

Good luck!

Posted by
9363 posts

I have rented with Irish Car Rentals twice, and I recommend them absolutely. They are great on the phone and the desk personnel in Ireland are careful to explain all of the insurance options.

Posted by
389 posts

At different times, different companies are best. We rented from Enterprise last summer. We just bought the CDW as there is no credit card or insurance company we could find that wants to cover Ireland (Second highest accident rate in the world they say?!)