Please sign in to post.

Ireland Itinerary...Thoughts?

I'm starting to plan our honeymoon itinerary for Ireland and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on the pace and/or things to add/delete. We are not trying to kill ourselves by seeing everything, but at the same time, we like to keep busy and spend as little time in our hotel room as possible. We are young (28/29) and in good shape. We love history, being outdoors, the coast, taking pictures, live music, pubs, and FOOD! 4/19- 9am arrive in Dublin (flying in from Edinburgh where we will have spent a week so no jet lag to worry about on this day) 4/20- Dublin 4/21- Leave Dublin (p/u car) head to Glendalough and Rock of Cashel, Night in Kinsale 4/22- Kinsale 4/23- Leave Kinsale, Drive ½ Ring of Kerry, Visit Kenmare, Night in Portmagee 4/24- Boat ride/visit Great Skellig, Drive 2nd ½ of Ring of Kerry, Night in Dingle 4/25- Dingle 4/26- Dingle 4/27- Leave Dingle, Head to Cliffs of Moher, Night in Doolin 4/28- Aran Island visit (haven't decided which one), Night in Doolin 4/29- Leave Doolin, The Burren, Night in Galway 4/30- Connemara National Park, Night in Galway 5/1- Galway 5/2- Don't know Galway? Suggestions?, Night spent near Shannon airport (d/o car)
5/3- Flight from Shannon back to US Is this too slow? Too ambitious? General thoughts? Thanks for the help!

Posted by
9363 posts

I suggest you spend your last night near Bunratty castle (six miles from the airport). It's an easy stop to drop off your car, then check in at the airport.

Posted by
1814 posts

4/28- Leave Doolin, The Burren, Night in Galway 4/29- Take the ferry from Roseveal to visit the largest Aran Island. Night in Clifden
4/30- Connemara National Park, Delphi Valley, another night in Clifden If you prefer instead of Clifden (we liked the Quay House), you might prefer Ballynahinch Castle Hotel which is near Roundstone. I think one night in Galway would be plenty. Connemara is beautiful - or you could drive up towards Westport. It isn't that far. Keep your gas tank filled while in the Connemara area - we found that lots of the little towns had no petrol. Nancy's suggestion for a last night near Bunratty Castle is a good one.

Posted by
9363 posts

Clifden is a better choice than trying to base in Galway after the day in the Aran Islands. You will be doing a lot of backtracking if you return to Galway. (You will already be part way to Clifden when you return to Rossaveal.) Staying in Clifden will put you close to the national park, then you could continue on to Kylemore Abbey before heading back toward Galway.

Posted by
1878 posts

I suggest staying in Ennis, which is sort of a workaday town around half an hour from Shannon. When we were there in 2002 Cruise's Pub had traditional music and we had a magical time there. I mean, check into it online and if they still do that it could be great. It's been a long time since we were there, but it was not the sort of place tourists went a lot and we had a night or two at the pub with great music, where we were almost the only non locals.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for your suggestions! I was thinking Clifden would be a good base. I am planning on tweaking my itinerary after discussing with my fiancee and will post an updated version for additional thoughts. Thanks again for your help everyone :)