Please sign in to post.

traveling in London

We will be in London in mid July. Need a hotel room Will be traveling with our 14 yr old grandson.

Posted by
1152 posts

Dolores, can you give us more details? Any neighborhoods you want to be close to? Any limits on costs? Any other restriction? I'm afraid you haven't given others on this site enough information to get really good advice.

Posted by
922 posts

Your request is like asking someone to find the needle in a haystack. There are at least a couple thousand hotels in London, which is huge. Pin down the specific section of the city where you want to stay. Then search Booking.com for hotels in that area in your price range. Read some reviews for those hotels on Trip Advisor. And use the search field in the upper right of this page to search on 'hotel London' to read recent threads where some recommendations may have been mentioned. Come back here to ask specific questions if you can't decide between specific hotels.

Posted by
3428 posts

We really need more info. Can you tell us: If you want 1 or 2 rooms. What amenities are 'musts' for you (no hostels, or prefer 4 or 5 *, or want small, family run hotel, must have private bathroom, must have elevator, etc.). Price range also helps. How long is your stay? Where, when and how are you arriving /departing (ex- arrive Heathrow airport 10:00 am on a Friday morning, depart via Eurostar 1:00 pm on Wednesday afternoon)? Are you doing any day trips?
What is your next destination or is London the only place you are visiting? I know it seems like a great deal of info to share, but the more we know, the better our recommendations.

Posted by
83 posts

Do research on sites like booking.com and travelstay for your dates. To check the quality of the hotels go to tripadvisor.com to view feedback from those who have stayed there. Booking.com also has reviews of their listings you can view as well. Plan to stay in central London (zone 1) such as Victoria, Kensington, Paddington, Bloomsbury are several very popular areas. Go through previous posts on this site to get great info and don't forget to use the search feature if there are particular questions you have, provide enough info to get good responses. I fly out 2 weeks from tomorrow for London then on to Paris. Can't wait, haven't been to Loondon since 2007...long overdue!! Have a great trip.

Posted by
61 posts

It sounds like you want a generally decent hotel in a decent location at a decent price. I recommend the Premier Inn County Hall. It is in a nice area. It is similar to Days Inn in quality. Excellent location near Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the London Eye, and most importantly, Waterloo train station. You can catch the hop-on, Hop-off bus, just a few minutes from the hotel. You can book online. Excellent price considering the location.

Posted by
332 posts

A Linley suite is available at Claridge's, £1155.00 per night (inclusive of all taxes, breakfast included. A seven night stay will cost about $12,580. Did you have something else in mind?

Posted by
1010 posts

My husband and I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza (South Kensington) three years in a row. We loved that hotel. It is in a lovely area of London. The architecture is beautiful. The hotel is directly across the street from the Glocester Tube station. Last year we stayed at he the Doubletree (Westminister). It was lovely also. We could see the Thames outside our window, to the left. We could walk to Westminister Abbey, Big Ben, the Tower Bridge, the Horse Guards Parade, etc. We could walk righ toutside our Doubletree and walk along the Thames. We would recommend both hotels. Crowne Plaza is part of the Priority Club Hotel chain (such as Holiday Inn, InterContinetntal, etc.) You earn hotel points for staying there. The Doubletree is part of the Hilton Hotel chain. You earn Hilton points at the Doubletree. Both are American run hotels. London is beyond fan-tabulous. We have gone there four years in a row, using our son's frequent flyer points.